Dive Instructor Ratio = 16/1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen classes in Thailand that were essentially 16/1.

These were at one of the sausage factory dive centres, where newly qualified instructors were undergoing MSDT internships. Straight out of IDC, they were buddied with a more experienced instructor and 2 classes of 8 students were taught together. Basically, it boiled down to the experienced instructor teaching 16 students, with the newly qualified instructor observing/assisting. Yep... a 4-day course too...

The MSDT intern got lots of 'certifications' that allowed them to apply for MSDT rating in under 2 weeks. The experienced instructor got paid commission for all the students.

You can guess the quality of the students at graduation..... (shudders)

I've seen classes in Thailand that were essentially 16/1.

These were at one of the sausage factory dive centres, where newly qualified instructors were undergoing MSDT internships. Straight out of IDC, they were buddied with a more experienced instructor and 2 classes of 8 students were taught together. Basically, it boiled down to the experienced instructor teaching 16 students, with the newly qualified instructor observing/assisting. Yep... a 4-day course too...

The MSDT intern got lots of 'certifications' that allowed them to apply for MSDT rating in under 2 weeks. The experienced instructor got paid commission for all the students.

You can guess the quality of the students at graduation..... (shudders)

Students = 16
Instructors = 2

16/2 = 8

I'm sorry, you describe a student/instructor ratio of 8/1, not 16/1. In this scenario, there can be one instructor explaining and demonstrating the skills to the group and then they can split into their two classes and work on them with the instructors.

This may not be optimum training conditions, but it still meets the instructor ratio of 8/1

Students = 16
Instructors = 2

16/2 = 8

I'm sorry, you describe a student/instructor ratio of 8/1, not 16/1. In this scenario, there can be one instructor explaining and demonstrating the skills to the group and then they can split into their two classes and work on them with the instructors.

This may not be optimum training conditions, but it still meets the instructor ratio of 8/1

It does... which is why it happens. But in all practical sense, there is a single active instructor providing tuition to 16 students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom