Dive Insurance or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not dive anywhere without dive insurance. I would expect any other insurance to try to not pay for dive injuries.

I know there is a Dive Assure forum, but since the topic of this thread is insurance, I figured I'd ask. Does anyone personally know of someone that used either Dive Assure or DAN insurance, aka got DCS and went to the chamber at the insurance company's expense? I like the work DAN does, so I understand being a member. It seems like Dive Assure offers higher levels of coverage for about the same premium. Any insurance company can look good on paper. When it is time to file a claim is when the true colors of the company show through. That's why I'd love to hear from a few people that have used either or both. Thanks.

In general, get the dive insurance & forget the not-----in particular DAN........read the fine print----on both private & DAN.......

I know there is a Dive Assure forum, but since the topic of this thread is insurance, I figured I'd ask. Does anyone personally know of someone that used either Dive Assure or DAN insurance, aka got DCS and went to the chamber at the insurance company's expense? I like the work DAN does, so I understand being a member. It seems like Dive Assure offers higher levels of coverage for about the same premium. Any insurance company can look good on paper. When it is time to file a claim is when the true colors of the company show through. That's why I'd love to hear from a few people that have used either or both. Thanks.
Yes, I know someone, and they are thankful that they had DAN's highest level ... $100's of thousands dollars worth of thankful :)

You will see that DAN has come through time and time again for people
Get the higest level, it's only $70 a year and covers $250,000 dollars per occurrance
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Anyone who dives at all, and doesn't get at least the minimal DAN coverage is a fool.

That's about as terse and succinct as I can be, while maintaining the level of acerbic necessary to make sure that my point is not mistaken for a lighthearted comment.
As a former actuary, I'd say that it would be easier to make a persuasive argument that the buyers of insurance are fools, rather than those who don't. Clearly, insurance companies calculate the expectancy of a particular claim and charge something more than that to make a profit. So mathematically, it's a bad bet for the insured. However, the miniscule risk that you may have a catastrophic expense should be considered--that is why people buy insurance. If you have the $50,000 to $100,000 that an evacuation and chamber ride might cost, and spending it wouldn't be a financial disaster, then save the $100 on DAN. If your medical insurance covers it (and I don't see why it wouldn't), save the $100.

Yes I have the medium level cover with DAN. Chamber treatments are free here, but I have it for travel in particular.

I used to have private health insurance and I asked them if diving injuries are covered. When they wrote back, they asked what kind of things could be diving accidents so I sent them a few links from google :wink: They could never give me a final answer! Anyway, I no longer have private health insurance so the issue is moot now.

Vladimir ... Um .. how do you know that your just only going to need a chamber ride? .. how about months of rehab? how about cost of the dive gear they cut you out of, or lost to the sea?

I'll say it again get the highest level DAN has ... I had the middle one before and after talking to my friend, she would have run out with that level ... I can see that you just never know and for $35 a year more I can get significantly better coverage

I spent a day in the chamber. From my first call to DAN to the final follow up call they made to me just to check back in a week later, it was the best customer service I've ever had with a medical organization.

There was almost no paperwork. Once the hyperbaric doctor/nurses were contacted by DAN, the rest was as if I had pre-paid cash. There was even a DAN sticker on the chamber (who would have thought, right here in little 'ol Spokane, WA).

Every penny was paid, and I did zero to make that happen. DAN did everything.

I have to agree. Anyone who dives is a fool to be without it.

Thanks to everyone !!!! I figured I would get a better response in this forum. I was on the fence but since I dive with my son I was going to get it anyways. Thanks.:admingreet:

i know there will be someone who disagrees with me,
but i say get DAN, even if you dont ever usem that $70 is used for research,
I dont get onboard alot of non profit stuff, but these guys do tons to make our sport as safe as possible, although I am sure someone has an axe to grind, i personally think they are great, money well spent either way

Back
Top Bottom