dive itinerary for Nov. 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kelle

That looks a little more relaxed though I think if it were me I'd go straight to Magic from the airport as it would be less hassle overall. Get there then pass out and have the whole of the next day chillaxing / waterfalls.

Diving in Dauin is not so much "muck" but rather dark sand slopes, where there are a few random bits of debris and lots of critters hanging out. There are patches of coral and some artificial reefs - like Pyramids (one of my favourites) which has pyramid shaped metallic structures now covered in corals and sponges. The key to this kind of diving is to get close to the sand, keeping your fins away so you don't stir up the sand and potentially hit the critters. (sort of a head down horizontal position).
yellow frogfish.jpgPyramids.jpg

That's great to hear about the folks at MIR - I am looking forward to it. And I agree, being under the water is one of the only times I am able to 100% relax (depending on the dive of course). My poor husband always wants to just tuck in somewhere nice, and get into the rhythm of relaxing and diving every day. I, on the other hand (even though I complain about being exhausted) am always restless and want to do and see as much as we can. (Which explains why he is constantly hounding me about trying a liveaboard and I'm resisting.) Our scuba vacations so far have been multiple trips to the Keys, Bahamas, Cozumel, Bonaire, Belize, La Paz and Costa Rica. The Philippines would be our first "big" dive trip and I feel like we should try as much as possible to see what we like best. Although maybe the diving is so markedly different in the Philippines from what we've seen - I might wish we were just staying in one or two places. Still thinking on this one until I get it right in my head. :)

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 11:02 PM ----------

Cool pictures - thanks Nudi - Dauin diving sounds interesting. We have a lot to have fun figuring out!

Hi Kelle

Just another idea - and in no way intended to confuse you...

Ari and Desiree of MIR (agree wholeheartedly with Peewee they are a lovely couple) have recently opened a new resort in Anda, which is up the east coast of Bohol. You'd take the ferry from Duma-Tag and then its about 2.5hrs transfer.
I dove that area in 2009 but with new centres opened in the last 2 years, who know what they are doing, there seems to be much more to see both critter and coral wise and new dive sites to explore.
Could be a good option for something a bit different and you still then explore 3 dive areas within the same amount of time.
Plus I'm sure they'd give you a good deal if you are already booked into MIR in Moalboal

I'd love to go back but I seem to get stuck in Dauin - this will be the 3rd year in a row at Atmosphere Resort! They keep improving and adding new features that i simply must revisit to check it all out ;-)

I'm sure you;ll have a fabulous time whatever you decide in the end
Susie

enjoy! looking forward to your trip report!

ps my guess is you will find many/most liveaboards hit a sweet spot that both you and your husband will appreciate.

(I just can't help noticing what I see as slightly different diving in the videos I'm watching of Moalboal and Baliscag. Am I imagining that?)
You are absolutely right.

Pescador is unique for its coral walls, and Moalboal is worth for the sardine run on Panagsama, but apart from these dives all other destinations are IMO better for fishlife. Dauin for macro stuff and Balicasag for fish schools and corals.

For me, I would rate Balicasag much better than Apo for fish life (last dives in Balicasag dec14, last dives in Apo March14) hence I guess a couple of days in Moalboal, added with a stay in Dauin and Panglao (for Balisasag diving ; Oasis is fairly good, Amorita is the most upmarket) would give you some of the best of the Visayas places.
Personally, I wouldn't care for Anda in such a limited time.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2015 at 02:12 PM ----------

On top of that, i would also advise against any unfortunate weather event.
Last years showed us that in november, the Visayas might be hit by a typhoon (I got stranded in Bohol end of december), therefore it would rather safe to end up the trip with Moalboal last, location that doesn't require a boat ride to Cebu whilst Bohol needs the ferries to operate.

Thanks Luko for confirming what I thought I might be picking up from endlessly viewing youtube videos of diving in those three areas. (viewing mostly the videos that aren't posted by dive shops though - since they're great but they put the best clips of all time in one video :)) A typhoon - oh that must have been a bummer! My vacation dates can't be changed though.... so I'll be praying to the weather Gods I guess.

11/1 - arrive at Cebu airport from the U.S. in the afternoon-- stay in a Cebu hotel and eat, shower and pass out.
11/2 - morning transport to Magic Island Resort - check in and spend the afternoon at Kasawan Falls

11/3 - two dives at Pescador
11/4 - two dives at Pescador or local dive
11/5 - early a.m. transfer to Atmosphere Resort - with stop at Oslob on the way - yes I would like to snorkel with whalesharks (I've not done it before so I may very well find that I feel terrible about it - coming from someone who won't visit dolphin encounters or zoos or the like b/c of bad feelings I get).
11/6 - 3 dive day at Apo - 1 mandarin fish/evening dive from resort
11/7- dauin dive (muck diving seems cool never having done it before - so far our preference has been schooling fish and healthy corals).
11/8- afternoon ferry transport for Bohol Beach Club
11/9 - Baliscag dives
11/10 - Baliscag dives
11/11 - Ferry to Cebu airport area - spend the night in Cebu
11/12 - flight home to U.S.
My suggestion:
Day 1. Moalboal is only 2hrs away by car so there is really no need to overnight in Cebu.
Day 2. Oslob + Kasawan Fall, your resort should be able to arrange that.
Instead of going to Bohol how about Siquijor? Operators on Dauin do go to this "Witch" Island if there is demand(day trip). Please enquire with Atmosphere.

Kelle: Last thoughts. Magic Ocean, Ari and Desiree's new resort in Bohol, opens next month and will take some time to work the kinks out. Attached are a few pictures from our MIR trip. From the US, we woke up at 4:30, then 5:00 then 5:30 over the first 5 days. Every morning we'd sit on our veranda and JaJa would walk by on her way into work, ask us if we wanted our usual coffee and latte and get them for us. The view of the dive boat was our view each morning. Now that's relaxing. The night before we arrived, an unexpected typhoon hit. Visibility for the first 5 days of the trip was 15 feet. Desiree thought we were overstating the viz issue then came with us and said it was the worst she ever saw. Despite all that, we had a blast and viz was closer to 50 feet by the end.
I know the feeling to see as much as possible and many folks on SB do that. I can dive the same site 4 times and see different things each time. Whatever you decide, it most definitely will be different than your prior trips.

IMG_1814.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0591.jpgIMG_1881.jpgIMG_2036.jpgIMG_1897.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 124
Peeweedier - it sounds like you need to get yourself back to MIR :) Your pictures are great - and the one of the crab is amazing! What kind of crab? what is he sitting on - soft coral or eggs? it looks like silk. So, you said the typhoon you experienced was in Feb. 2014?

I just found this article that describes the Visayas as the Philippines new "Typhoon Belt"...
Visayas now Phl
20 a year! Lovely. It doesn't directly discuss the Cebu, Moalboal, Dauin or Panglao areas - maybe they are more protected?

Unrelated question for anyone: do you get extra immunizations or take anti-malarial medication before you travel to the Visayas area?

I just found this article that describes the Visayas as the Philippines new "Typhoon Belt"...
Visayas now Phl
20 a year! Lovely. It doesn't directly discuss the Cebu, Moalboal, Dauin or Panglao areas - maybe they are more protected?

Unrelated question for anyone: do you get extra immunizations or take anti-malarial medication before you travel to the Visayas area?
If you do not want your diving trip ruined by typhoon then Jan to early April is the time. However, I have been coming to this country since 1993 and typhooon had yet to make any impact on my trip so far(touch wood).
I take no extra immunization and anti-malarial medication but do pay extra vigilant to mosquito. So repellent is a must(for me) and the room must be screened(window) or with AC. Sun block is also very important.

Back
Top Bottom