Dive Kayaks: Post a pic of your ride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnL:
Chad,

Have you tried getting a tank in the front hatch? I tried with a tarpon120 but it was just a bit too tight to make the corner and drop in. Curious to see if it will work on a 160.

Thanks,
John

I have a tarpon 140 and can fit two E7-80s in the front (with those two and a rigged 100 in the back, it does sit rather low though). I can't fit an Aluminum 80 or an E7-100 in, and I think (but am not sure) that the 160 has the same hatch.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I might just have to order one now... Just what I need, ANOTHER kayak :D If I can only find a buyer for my surfski I will be all set...

John

Tested out a kayak recently and everything seemed fine except I have no idea how anyone can change out a tank on a BC without getting their 1st stage wet. Tried a ocean kayak with a front compartment, don't see how it's possible to get the tank out without tipping.

Well, I have done exactly that but what I have found easier, since I dive vintage and usually use steel 72s, is that I rig out both tanks with regulators and backpack. Voit SnugPacks and I don't use no stupid BC or snorkel or any of that foolishness ( I do have a rescue pack with sausage, flares, snaplight, signal mirror, whistle etc). I have carried an 80 on plastic BP with BC attached (wing type) in the front hatch with a regulator already installed. This is not something I would do in rough water.
Hanging my feet with fins over each side--stradling---I scooch myself forward and lean over rotating on my pelvis so as to be able to reach into the hatch--now open---and pull the tank out. The other tank is tethered at this point still in the water. At this point I close the forward hatch and snap it secure and I put the new tank on a tether into the water. The expended tank is then pulled out of the water and up into my lap and then I again rotate forward and open the hatch and place the old tank into it and reclose the hatch and secure it. I get into the new rig in the water and away I go. Retrieving it I flip around in the seat again stradling and haul it out and pop it into the tank well,secure it, flip myself around and head for home. Easier said than done but it really is not a problem. I agree, I would not try it until you get your balance and get the feel of it all. I would just stay to one tank until that time or need comes. The Scupper hatch is so large it does not require much effort to get the tanks in and out. I carry a bilge pump and sponge and several sausages and some of those pool nooodles inside the kayak, cell phone, etc.
When you get beyondPadI think and realize that people dived for decades without BCs and all that stuff you can begin to free yourself of all the gizmos and gert back to very basic equipemnt which works nicely on a kayak. Of course, if the water is cold you will be wearing exposure protection whcih will need weight and a small BC to compensate---it can still be done--but swapping a tank out of BC and BP/wing is an advanced manuver. Another advantage of the Scupper types is the single forward hatch, this leaves the rear section of the kayak fairly water tight save for rudder fairleads etc so it wil hold air if capsized. I can imagine a circumstance where a kayak could deep six since they have no built in floataion beyond trapped air especially if both hatches were open--a big NO-NO. N

Does anyone have any experience with a Cobra Fish 'N Dive kayak? I like what I have been reading about the OK Prowler 13 and Scupper Pro TW, but can't find many 1st hand accounts of the Cobra Fish 'N Dive. Seems like a decent kayak, a little on the pricey side though.

ClevelandDiver:
Does anyone have any experience with a Cobra Fish 'N Dive kayak? I like what I have been reading about the OK Prowler 13 and Scupper Pro TW, but can't find many 1st hand accounts of the Cobra Fish 'N Dive. Seems like a decent kayak, a little on the pricey side though.

I tried one out when looking at dive kayaks, but did not dive off it. It's very stable and has lots of room, but was just too wide for me - paddling felt pretty awkward. The Fish 'n' Dive is 36" wide, vs. 28" for a prowler 13 or 26" for a scupper pro (my tarpon 140 is 28" wide). FWIW, I'm 5'10" and 150lb; the Fish 'n' Dive would be better suited for a larger diver.

Brian

bwh6:
I tried one out when looking at dive kayaks, but did not dive off it. It's very stable and has lots of room, but was just too wide for me - paddling felt pretty awkward. The Fish 'n' Dive is 36" wide, vs. 28" for a prowler 13 or 26" for a scupper pro (my tarpon 140 is 28" wide). FWIW, I'm 5'10" and 150lb; the Fish 'n' Dive would be better suited for a larger diver.

Brian

Thanks Brian.

Does ideal width of the boat correspond directly to weight, or is wingspan a factor as well. for example: would a 36" wide kayak be ok for someone 5'10" 240lbs, or would it be better for someone 6'5" 240lbs?

Mike

ClevelandDiver:
Thanks Brian.

Does ideal width of the boat correspond directly to weight, or is wingspan a factor as well. for example: would a 36" wide kayak be ok for someone 5'10" 240lbs, or would it be better for someone 6'5" 240lbs?

Mike

I think that height and arm span are probably the most important considerations. Of course, getting the right fit and feel is really subjective, pulling in lots of other factors like stability, tracking, manueverability, etc. If you can, the best thing to find several models you're interested in, find a dealer or rental place and try them out on the water.

Brian

bwh6:
I think that height and arm span are probably the most important considerations. Of course, getting the right fit and feel is really subjective, pulling in lots of other factors like stability, tracking, manueverability, etc. If you can, the best thing to find several models you're interested in, find a dealer or rental place and try them out on the water.

Brian

Unfortunately there is not anyone local who stocks Ocean, Cobra, Tarpon or any of the other dive kayaks mentioned in this thread.

There is only one Ocean kayak dealer that works out of his home who will order one for you if you pay up front.

Even though Dick's is listed as an OK retailer, none of the local shops stock OK or anything close to a dive platform.

I can get a Heritage Marques(?) locally, but it doesn't look like it will fit my needs.

Ironic, considering I live 1 mile away from the 12th largest body of fresh water on the planet.

Ben_ca:
Hello all,
I'm looking for a Kayak to dive off of and also to explore the local waters (SF Bay Area) How about a pic of your setup, and a short review of the kayak.

Thanks

Love the Ocean Kayak Malibu II. Tracks very well while maintaining excellent stability. Seats 2(and a third child in the middle). We go everywhere in this thing (just about everywhere my Zodiac will go). I really like the simplicity-no trailer, motor, or waiting to bring your boat up the ramp. We just drive to the beach and put it in the water. I would highly recommend a Roleez rig if you need to haul it a long distance through sand.

I have a few pics in our gallery :

http://www.rapidiver.com/index1.htm

Back
Top Bottom