Dive knives and the law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What are the laws concerning the carrying of dive knives both in the water and on land?

What are the laws concerning the carrying of dive knives both in the water and on land?

They vary by state. I recommend you search the Internet for your state and any you pass through for their laws. A knife is a knife, in the eyes of the law. If you have a meat cleaver in your car, it may be considered a weapon.

"Generally", and I use that term loosely, any blade less than 3" isn't considered a weapon. Best put that dive knife in your checked luggage, or the trunk.

Hmm... I should have been more specific.
I mean what are the laws concerning dive knives while in Hawaii.
Thanks again.

One of the cutting edges I use is a push or Tee-handle knife. However, they are illegal in most, if not all, of the British Commonwealth countries. I was turned onto them by a freediving sprearfisherman. The great advantage is you have nearly full utility of your hand when holding the knife — especially useful when handling lines.

Safe Maker Series

cs12bs.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... I should have been more specific.
I mean what are the laws concerning dive knives while in Hawaii.
Thanks again.

No "State" laws that I've been aware of, since, well, forever. I've worn knives scuba diving and freediving / spearing here. As has every diver / spearo I know.

If you are diving with a dive op, ask what their company or "boat" policy is regarding knives; but it is not likely a "State" reg, just their personal rule if they discourage dive knives / cutting tools.

Best wishes.

Here is the text of Hawaii laws concerning knives (updated4/23/2002). I see no mention of double-edged blades.

§134-51 Deadly weapons; prohibitions; penalty. (a) Any person, not authorized by law, who carries concealed upon the person's self or within any vehicle used or occupied by the person or who is found armed with any dirk, dagger, blackjack, slug shot, billy, metal knuckles, pistol, or other deadly or dangerous weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and may be immediately arrested without warrant by any sheriff, police officer, or other officer or person. Any weapon, above enumerated, upon conviction of the one carrying or possessing it under this section, shall be summarily destroyed by the chief of police or sheriff. (b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a deadly or dangerous weapon while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony. [L 1937, c 123, §1; RL 1945, §11114; RL 1955, §267-25; HRS §727-25; ren L 1972, c 9, pt of §1; am L 1977, c 191, §2; am L 1983, c 267, §1; gen ch 1985; am L 1989, c 211, §10; am L 1990, c 195, §3 and c 281, §11; am L 1992, c 87, §4; am L 1993, c 226, §1; am L 1999, c 285, §2]

§134-52 Switchblade knives; prohibitions; penalty. (a) Whoever knowingly manufactures, sells, transfers, possesses, or transports in the State any switchblade knife, being any knife having a blade which opens automatically (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. (b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a switchblade knife while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony. [L 1959, c 225, §1; Supp, §264-9; HRS §769-1; ren L 1972, c 9, pt of §1; am L 1990, c 195, §4]

[§134-53] Butterfly knives; prohibitions; penalty. (a) Whoever knowingly manufactures, sells, transfers, possesses, or transports in the State any butterfly knife, being a knife having a blade encased in a split handle that manually unfolds with hand or wrist action with the assistance of inertia, gravity or both, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. (b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a butterfly knife while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony. [L 1999, c 285, §1]

[§302A-1134.6] Zero tolerance policy. (a) Any child who possesses, sells, or uses a dangerous weapon or switchblade knife, while attending school or while attending department-supervised activities held on or off school property, may be excluded from attending school for up to ninety-two school days, as determined by the principal and approved by the superintendent or other individuals designated pursuant to rules adopted by the board... (f) For purposes of this section: (1) "Dangerous weapon" means a dirk, dagger, butterfly knife, blackjack, slug shot, billy, metal knuckles, or other instrument whose sole design and purpose is to inflict bodily injury or death; provided that firearms are excluded from this definition; (3) "Switchblade knife" is as defined in section 134-52.

Not sure about Hawaii but in California the knife shown in post 5 would be considered a dagger and would be illegal if it was carried concealed.

there is no restriction to size, but any knife with a double edge is illegal (and before anyone starts talking smack i used to be a cop here) not uncommon to see locals with machetes on them

I didn't know that about double-edged knives, thanks for posting that!

But shucks, my very favorite dive knives are all double-edged.... ahhh, well.... :D

RE Machete-sized knives: I did see a guy with a machete-sized knife in a belt scabbard here in Hilo a week ago. We do have some "interesting" folks come out of the rain forest from time to time :wink:

Best wishes.

Edit: I didn't hit refresh and missed Thal's post (thanks Thal). After reading that post, and considering the points made by TC and DiveWestOahu, I am curious about the typical stilleto-style spear fishing knives (I often carry a small one as a backup)... they are double-edged... I also have several larger "traditional-sized" dive knives that are double-edged... would it be considered an illegal deadly weapon, a "dagger", if carried "concealed" in my dive bag in my truck? I think I understand the intent of the law, just curious about the real-world "application"... I'll ask some police friends next time I see them how they would interpret a situation like that... and if THEY will be giving up THEIR "dive daggers" :D

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom