Dive knives - Anyone use a "non-dive" knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Broken steak knife, EMT shears and a Benchmade 7 hook.

EMT sheers are very durable and versatile. I carry the SOG Seal Pup Elite during most dives. I normally prefer blunt tip dive knives, but the SOG is perfect for spear fishing and carrying along during hikes/camping.

Attachments

• SOG-Seal-Pup-Elite-Tiger-Stripe-E37TS-K-581x424.jpg
    SOG-Seal-Pup-Elite-Tiger-Stripe-E37TS-K-581x424.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,269
While I dive with a small sheathed diveknife on my harness, I have a pair of toenail clippers for a spare line cutter. Comes in handy for cuttingmy toenails and fingernails during deco as well.

My Gerber LMF II is a stainless survival knife, and seems much more robust than a lot of the dive knives out there...anyone out there using "non-dive" knives?
I have used a variety of folding knives for diving.

On some the tiny bit of spring steel that worked as the lock would rust. Not all stainless steel is rustfree with repeated exposure to saltwater. Particularly since I tend to leave my knife inside the BCD pocket when rinsing.

EMT shears are great, cheap and can be used with one hand as you don't have to hold the line to cut.
Cheap steak knifes with a plastic handle work great and are cheap too.
Just grind the point away, use a old weight belt webbing folded and sewn together on the borders
The classical tek diver knife, when it is too rusty, just use e new one.
Chris

I use folding lock blade knives clipped to my harness as a backup knife. Just drill a hole in the handle and attach a shackle and clip.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 636

Back
Top Bottom