Dive lights on airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll make sure to include a card with my name and flight number in my dive bag and include a print out page with a picture.

harpstr:
Cant find a definitive answer: Will a canister dive light without removable batteries travel on an airline?

This doesn't answer your question about non-removable batteries but I've flown with my Halcyon cannister light as a carry on about 8 times now. My bag always gets hand checked but I've had no problems with security at all.

....who may test your canister light and then leave the battery connected.

I have been packing my canister light in a Pelican case with the owner's manual enclosed. The battery is disconnected. The Pelican case is placed inside my checked luggage. I placed the Airspeed Press UNSPILLABLE BATTERY stickers on my battery and battery pack.

Last time I flew, I discovered that the TSA inspectors had RECONNECTED the battery pack -- probably to briefly do a dry test of the light itself -- and they left the battery CONNECTED. That could have been a disaster for the flight, huh?

You can bet that they briefly turned the light on and off, greatly reducing the life of my $230 21W HID bulb.

From now on, my canister light will be carry-on luggage, and none of these *******s will ever again either leave the battery connected or briefly test the bulb.

H

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom