Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am about to buy my first dive light and would like some advice. I know the Extreme Eposure (EE) lights including HID, are supposed to be about the best available. From the few lights i have looked at i certainly like the idea of the "goodman" handle type at EE site. Basically i want to know everything about lights, which one, burn times, wattage, HID, umbilical and non umbilical etc. Also i hear that the new UK 100 sunlight HID torch is good? I think the DIR divers prefare the EE HID lights with goodman handle!? Whatever the case i am looking forward to hearing all your responses and opinions. Cheers

PS: i also need a backup light. I was thinking of the EE scout although i may not be able to afford this. I remember someone saying something about pelican have a simerlar light. Can anyone tell me the name of this torch. Thanks again in advance.

Extreme Exposure, Sartek, Nite-Rider, American Underwater
Lighting, DiveRite, OMS (and who knows how many others)
make "cannister" lights with a "goodman" handle.

what varies among them is how the cannister is carried and its shape. OMS is tube that is hard-fastened to holes in
the backplate. Nite-Rider is a rectangle (?) worn on your
waist strap and the others look like coffee cans.

generally speaking, a HID of 'x' amps/watt will burn longer and brighter than a comparable halogen. It will
also be more $$$ to purchase initially and to replace
parts and the cannister will be smaller/lighter.

Unless you NEED the long burn times of an HID, or you
NEED lots-o-light in a small(er) package you will save
$$$ buying a Halogen that fits your needs. If you NEED
big-light/long burn/small package then buy HID and be prepared to pay for it; your only other option is to buy big-light/long-burn/not-so-small-halogen and it's a big load.

Has anone tried the UK recharcheable HID 100 non umbilical light cannon?

I think that "Rodales" recently positively reviewed the light.

Unless you prefer the "light cannon" type of light configuration my recommendation would be to shop around for a cannister light. the "wrecky/techys" are frequently
upgrading perfectly good equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom