Dive Lingo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of my favorites thanks to my first instructor...

Flippers - dolphins (from TV show)
Tank - big green thing that drives around and shoots things
Fish feeding station - any point on the boat (preferably near the pointy end) that you lean over the railing and get sick

Ken

It depends on the perspective. For military types, a tank is a type of vehicle and a cylinder holds gas. For me a tank is a form of a container and a cylinder is a geometric construct formed by taking a circle in the x-y plane and extending it into the z direction. It has a flat top and bottom (depending on which direction you orient it of course) so obviously the containers that we use to store air are not cylinders because they have a tapered top.

I'm sure there is a PADI specialty course for this....

How long does your oxygen tank last down there?

Guys who were diving before I was born often call fins flippers. I'm not going to correct them, they know more about it than I do.

Tanks (the armored type) were called tanks to confuse the Germans in WW I. It was hoped the Germans would think they were water containers, not weapons. A tank is a container of fluids. Air, nitrox, trimix, etc. are fluids and are contained in tanks. Cylinder is the shape of these particular tanks. They are also called bottles (especially by the founders).

[How long does your oxygen tank last down there?]

Depends on how fast it goes through the "breathing thing"

venting: peeing in your wetsuit

wetsuit filler: human body. Could also be used to indirectly refer to certain parts of human body. common usage, "Boy what a nice wetsuit filler on him/her!"

(This one comes from my dive instructor)
karma: Anything you do to a fish, I'm going to do to you (The subject of fishing spears on open water cert dives was broached)

certified diver: another person dumb enough to get you hurt/killed in the water (Also my dive instructor. He loved teaching students, but had an understandable loathing for "certified divers")

thingy with all the numbers that beeps when it's time to surface: dive computer

thingy with needles that counts down to zero: SPG

SPG that depth gage doesn't work and pressure gauge is metric: worthless piece of **** (Bad, bad dive operator)

Peace,
Greg

dive = the bar you go to after getting off the boat

bar = the thing your boat gets stuck on, ruining your day of diving

boat = the thing you can never find after a dive

wetsuit = amphibious urinal

fins = what your buddy does right before he disappears from view

buddy = a guy you'd never drink a beer with but who will be your ticket to safety during the dive

sausage = the thing the captain fries on the grill making you barf after you successfully avoided hurling for half the trip

BC = as in, the era in which the boat you're in was built; the captain assures you "she ain't much to look at but she gots it where it counts"

scooter = the thing from which your boat's engine was built; again, the captain assures you "she's not fast, but she'll get us there"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom