Dive location that meets these requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until you got to price it was sounding like Cocos.

scubamickey:
So when do I get to check out the DM? How do I make sure he/she is competent and isn't going to get someone killed. Why would you need to kneel on the sand to remove your mask? Definitely not the place for me. I don't want to hear my hubby making stroke jokes all week. They would probably freak at the site of a BP/W and a long hose anyway. I'm looking at the Caymans. Any comments there? Maybe another liveaboard.

I heard my name mentioned a few posts back. No, I would not recommend CCV for you, either, but I think you have a very odd perception of the "why not" from other posts.

The "check out dive" is specifically NOT called this- it is called an orientation dive, and properly so. It is to learn your way around the easily accessed 24/7 shore dive. Those of it who walk away with the concept that this was merely to "check you out" missed 95% of the message. Learn "The Front Yard" and it will be a favorite dive!

The DM's at CCV are well qualified and they have seen every gear configuration and dive with what works for them. This does not prohibit them from smiling when someone shows up with a 30 cuft pony and adjustable spanner wrench on a carabiner. They have seen it all, but more importantly - they know where to find it all... the cool small stuff, that is.

The DM's are merely there for your convenience. Follow them, see lots of cool stuff, or don't. Going below 100'? Advise them and go diving. Be back in an hour (as a courtesy to those already on the boat). The second boat dive of the morning or afternoon? Take all the BT you want.

Roatan, the South side, is a macro paradise that rewards the patient with superb buoyancy and excellent observational skills. See what you might be overlooking at http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.html and also click "see previous week". Once you've seen all the larger stuff enough times, there are other delights to find.

You described CCV perfectly until you got into the thing about sizes of critters. This macro environment is part and parcel of your stated requirement of intermediate to advanced diving. That phrase means many different things, but to me, it mainly means something new and different to be learned and mastered, like backrolls, current diving, iron shore entries, small boat surface recovery skills, etc. The only "intermediate/advanced" skill that you may exercise at CCV is solo diving, other than that, it would be buoyancy perfection for macro observation. (There is some possible wreck penetration, but barely enough to do the wreck cert) The place is like diving in a bathtub. Easy breezy.

Liveaboards? Whoa- they are not anywhere near the price range you started with.

papau new guinea. once you get there, it's well cheap.

I would say somewhere in Asia, my experience especially in the Philippines is once they see you can dive, they "won't hold your hand", no "cattle boats", many different resorts to choose from with a variety of bungalows or cottages, warm water, deep diving, large critters (depending where you go), and cheap once you get passed the air fare. Indonesia come to mind as well, Bunaken Island (Manado, Sulawesi) is one of my favorites. PM me if you want more info.

I decided on another liveaboard. Going with Explorer Ventures in the Caribbean. The price is good and it covers a part of the Caribbean I haven't seen yet.

Thanks for all the advice recommendations. I've noted several of the places you've all mentioned and will look at them for other trips throughout the year. CCV is still on my list, too.

scubamickey:
I was not impressed with the Stuart Cove operation when they moored next to us on my liveaboard trip this summer. I liked the diving in that area, but I wouldn't want to stay on the island. Way too crowded and touristy.

I will probably be diving in the Sea of Cortez this winter since I have to go to Phoenix for work.

Grand Cayman is looking good, I think. Cheap is preferred but only if I can get what I'm looking for. A middle of the road (not cheap not really expensive) is fine.

Irene, I see you've already decided, but keep Bonaire in mind. It's pretty much all shore diving with a wall just off shore. You can also book a package with boat dives in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon.

BTW, let me know when you're in Phoenix. Jen and I can give you an orientation to the local diving. We might even be able to head down to San Carlos (Sea of Cortez) with you. Bring your 7mm or dry suit. You will need it both at the local lakes and the Sea of Cortez if you come down anytime after October.

Dive-aholic:
Irene, I see you've already decided, but keep Bonaire in mind. It's pretty much all shore diving with a wall just off shore. You can also book a package with boat dives in the morning and shore dives in the afternoon.

BTW, let me know when you're in Phoenix. Jen and I can give you an orientation to the local diving. We might even be able to head down to San Carlos (Sea of Cortez) with you. Bring your 7mm or dry suit. You will need it both at the local lakes and the Sea of Cortez if you come down anytime after October.

Hey Rob. We've been meaning to email you guys. We went with Explorer Ventures liveaboard for the price--$995 pp and ease of getting there from here. Plus we're thinking about detouring to FWB to dive the Oriskany on the same trip. Our LDS is going to Bonair in November but unfortunately, hubby is teaching this semester and can't get away for that long.

I'll be in Carefree, AZ second week in January. Sea of Cortez sounds cold to me, brrrr! Remember, I'm the one with the 3mm in the Bahamas and feeling chilly after an hour.

Hi to Jen from us.

Hi,
two places that would fit your request are the Red Sea with a liveaboard trip and Baja California.
The Red Sea offers all you were asking for, only they will do a check dive to see if they should let you dive alone ... Is great diving there and not too expensive, with great food and the most professional dive Safari boats anywhere found on this planet.
In the Baja don't bother to go anywhere but in the southern end, at Cabo San Luca. There is also all you need!!

scubamickey:
I decided on another liveaboard. Going with Explorer Ventures in the Caribbean. The price is good and it covers a part of the Caribbean I haven't seen yet.
/QUOTE]
We have also committed to one of the Explorer trips, and will be visiting the Turks & Caicos Explorer II in mid October. This will be the fanciest liveaboard we have yet tried, and have high hopes for this. It was just profiled in Undercurrent, also, and earned high marks from them. (except for the games associated with getting to and from the boat...but I have a plan for this, so we will see:eyebrow: ) Woody

Back
Top Bottom