Dive Logs: What does yours look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still using the NAUI log-book I got when I cert'd. I liked the three-ring binder/organizer ideas you guys had. I think I might have to make a change sometime in the near future.

I've gone through several of my logs, and saw how they have changed over the years. I started with a generic dive log, and it had a single-line entry with a number of categories in columns at the top. The bottom allowed me to enter remarks, but it there was never enough space. I also had dives logged in our USAF dive log forms, and that allowed a lot more information to be recorded per sheet. Here's that log.

SeaRat

I then put together two different logs. The first was a divemaster log, that I used on the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archeological Project in 1975. It allowed me to keep close tabs on up to 13 different dive groups at on a single sheet.

SeaRat

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Sorry for the slight hijack, but lucid.....what wetnotes do you use?
Do you have any good sources for getting them? Different brand names? etc. etc. etc.

Anyone who sells surveying equipment should have Rite-in-the-Rain books or looseleaf. Same as the wetnotes but cheaper.

MD

in the mid-1970's, I put together the log that is essentially what I am using now. It is a two-page log, which I now have in MS Word. Here's what it looks like (see the image below).

The part of this I want to point out is a section I started in the 1970's, titled "Special Problems and Ideas." I have never dived a perfect dive. Diving is a complicated sport, and something is always going wrong; each and every dive has problems. By capturing information on what went wrong, and more importantly, on how to overcome it, I found that my diving changed dramatically over time. Here's an entry from August 9, 1973:

"Cold is a big problem. It limits our diving time and functional observation time to ~50". This is w/ a 1/4" full wet suit, 1/4" 3-finger mits and 1/4" hooded vest. Brett didn't have the 1/4" hooded vest & got very cold after ~30" of diving."

We were doing marine invertebrate biological observation/photography that summer. Here's another entry, this time from February 13, 1974:

"I froze my @#$ off!!--gloves and boots leak water & I didn't wear my 3/16" hooded vest. Need to waterproof boots & gloves."

March 30, 1974: "Cold is still a problem--perhaps a "super suit" by O'Neal would help."

5 May 1974: "Cold--app. in patches because of snow melt."

29 June 1974: "The same -- Cold!"

Because of these problems, which I did not put together until I started looking back at my log entries, I decided that the cold-water wet suit I had was not doing the job I needed to be done. I therefore bought an Aquala dry suit, and test-dove it on July 26, 1974. I used it into the 1980's (sold it to a guy who was allergic to neoprene), and scared the you-know-what out of some people at the Oregon State University Marine Science Center when I hung it up in the shower room to dry, and turned the lights out. One of the scientists came into the dark rest room, turned on the lights, and here was this human-like figure hanging from the rafters:D

What I'm pointing out is that by tracking my problems during the dive, I was able to do what in the safety profession we call "trending." I was able to see a problem that repeated itself over and over, and could eventually lead to an accident (cold divers don't react well, and do have decompression problems if diving deep enough).

This is a technique for actually learning from our diving experience, and acting on the knowledge we gain.

Enjoy,

SeaRat

Here's the dive debriefing form I have been using. I made it in Microsoft Word, but saved it in a Text format (txt), so most programs should be able to read it.

SeaRat

Maybe Drewsailbum can comment on this one - when I was in Grand Cayman at the end of January I dove with Eden Rock Dive Center. In the shop I saw the most beautiful log book. It was designed exclusively for the local area diving - south shore.

It had full color digitized images of the actual reef sites with full topographical detail. Almost everything on the sheet was in color. Each sheet had spaces for all the usual indicate all your dive details. It was the prettiest dive log I've ever seen. The antithesis of the bland pages you normally see. Decent sized sheets, and it seemed at quick glace there was room for anything additional you'd want to include.

I'd love to get something like that for my back yard - Southern California and the Channel Islands.

I've filled two logs and am well into a third. All three different shapes and sizes and bought in dive shops as I needed one. I'd love to see some more of the customized log sheets included in posts if people don't mind sharing, so that I could download them.

For me, after noting all of the usual data of the dive, the most enjoyable and useful part is the comments section where I record problems encountered, marine life spotted and any other interesting things to note.

I used to use the old paper books after I got certified but went to using my Handspring PDA. I downloaded the program and I think it's great. There is four pages of info for each dive. Check it out. You can down load a trial version for free. It allows 10 dives to be logged, I think. The program is only 10$ to buy and you can do it online.

http://www.handango.com/handspring/...&productId=15218&sectionId=0&catalog=1&title=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom