Dive masks with purge valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never encountered a mask like that. No student has ever showed up with one, and I include a rental mask as part of the course fee (naturally it's a simple, no-purge style). Lucky me!

The ScubaPro maks I linked does not allow one hand pinch to equalize. It requires two hands.

(I meant two HANDS, not two fingers.)

---------- Post added June 30th, 2013 at 09:42 PM ----------

Thanks... But the photographer comment made earlier was about purge masks that vent to the sides

Bubbles drifting between the photographer and the camera are usually not welcome.

With that old ScubaPro side venting mask, not only was mask clearing done hands free, but also the bubbles got vented to the sides of the mask.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2013 at 09:44 PM ----------

I have bifocal lenses in my mask. I also have a purge.

I have zero trouble pinching the nose when I wish to clear that way.

Some days in cold water I will get a bit more fog then usual on the lens. Just crack the mask and exhale. No need to tilt head. Convenient when I am hunting around the bottom or I don't want to take my eyes off something.

My backup mask happens not to be a purge mask.

Is yours the purge in th bottom of the nose pocket kind?

I've used all kinds of masks over the course of my diving. I've had three purge masks, including the one I've been using for the past several years. I've never had a problem with a purge mask, and I can usually clear without using fingers. When I need to, it's exactly the same as a non-purge mask. I think this is another one of those threads where some big bad I know everything divers spout their opinions about something they have never tried. Lots of people repeat what they once heard someone say and take it as fact.

Bubbles drifting between the photographer and the camera are usually not welcome.

With that old ScubaPro side venting mask, not only was mask clearing done hands free, but also the bubbles got vented to the sides of the mask

How often are these people clearing their masks? Every few minutes?

I guess I can see (in light of the previous explanations) that a photographer with a bristly mustache might get some advantage, just seems like a uncommon scenario and one that might tempt me to shave or trim my mustache, if I had one. Anyhoo... I think I'll stick to my non-purge mask & use one hand to clear it every half hour or so

Purge valves on a mask are a convenience feature ... and like any convenience feature they make diving a little simpler when they work as designed, and a llittle more complicated when they don't. Like any convenience feature, it boils down to whether you're willing to put up with latter in order to take advantage of the former.

I've had several students over the years who show up with purge masks. Sometimes they leak ... and when they do it's a bit of a pain in the arse, because you usually can't "fix" the problem during the dive. The problem usually boils down to something caught underneath the diaphragm that causes enough of a leakage that you have to continually clear the mask during the dive. Not a big whoop ... but it can take your mind off of what you're trying to pay attention to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How often are these people clearing their masks? Every few minutes?

I guess I can see (in light of the previous explanations) that a photographer with a bristly mustache might get some advantage, just seems like a uncommon scenario and one that might tempt me to shave or trim my mustache, if I had one. Anyhoo... I think I'll stick to my non-purge mask & use one hand to clear it every half hour or so

You see, there are people who exhale now and then. You may only exhale every 30 minutes, but some people exhale more often.

You see, there are people who exhale now and then. You may only exhale every 30 minutes, but some people exhale more often.

... most divers don't exhale through their nose ... but if you do, then I can see where having a purge valve would be desirable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... most divers don't exhale through their nose ... but if you do, then I can see where having a purge valve would be desirable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I exhale through my nose on a regular basis to and to clear my mask, it purges fine without the valve and without manipulating the mask with my hands. I can only guess why it works perfectly every time because I've been doing it so long its just natural.

Bob
-------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

I've been diving since 1985 and have had about 4 different masks with purge valves. I never needed to use more than one hand to clear my ears, howver that problem I had was the purge literally came out of the mask on two different masks. I liked the convenience but wasn't worth the potential problems. I always have my camera with me but I'd rather use a hand to clear my mask than have the purge blow out during the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It is really not that hard to understand. Everyone exhales, and for most that means bubbles.

Exhalation from the reg exhaust drifts bubbles into some photographers way.

The old ScubaPro Trivent routed bubbles from the purge on the mask out to the side where there was no easy way for the bubbles to drift into the field of view.

So the photographers would when setting up certain shots consciously breath out the nose and out the side vents, so bubbles would not be in their field of view.

Many photographers go with dual hose regs or rebreathers for similar reasons. The ScubaPro Trivent just allowed people another way to keep bubbles out of the way without having to swap out their regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom