Dive Master Necessary??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not a "license", it's a "certification". The Coast Guard won't fine you if they catch you diving without a "license" or "certification".

the K

If you are properly trained there is no reason that you would need a DM to dive in condtions similar to or better than what you trained it. The problem is do you even know what properly trained is? Unfortunately many don't and that is why they end up in classes that don't give them all they need to know or should be taught from the beginning.

So far my dive instructor has done a very good job in my opinion. However, I don't have much to compare to, but I feel he is giving me all that is needed to feel comfortable in the water. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go rig diving as soon as I get my certification, but it is something I would like to do by the end of the summer. I will be trying to get in as many dives in as many conditions as I feel safe in. I'm very excited to be blowing bubbles, but want to be safe about it as well. And you can't get in trouble for diving without a certification? I did not know this, however, I wouldn't try it... :D

Luckily, most new divers don't drown on their initial dives with or without an instructor or DM. I suppose that is why there are few regulations concerning scuba. And that's the way it should be.

I am a little confused.

I am guessing by your profile, listed as "non-certifed", and the question along with the language you use, that you are not certified. If this is the case, do not under any circumstances go diving with anybody - it is a recipe for disaster, possibly leading to the death of you and/or your "buddy".

That being said, if you are just finishing off your certification and are looking at doing you first post-certification dive, then no, you don't need a dive master. Using one would be helpful and reassuring. Going to the site with an experienced diver familiar with the area would be fine, too.

Maybe clarify if you are certified or not - if not, get ceretified PRIOR to diving........

I will be getting my c-card in May, and I'm just learning the correct lingo. I wouldn't go diving without getting certified first. Now, all I have to do is find an experienced buddy who will go rig diving with me. Like I said, I don't plan on rig diving as my first ow dive. I would like to get some experience under my belt first. I would like to be comfortable enough to try a rig dive by the end of the summer though!

Ok, cool. Once in a blue moon we get some brave/stupid soul who thinks it is just fine to strap on an "oxygen" tank and go for it, so I wanted to make sure you weren't one of them - glad to hear you are in the process of getting certified.

Defintely make your first post-cert dive with someone experienced - doesn't ness have to be a divemaster.Get involved with your local dive club - the shop who is doing your course probably has one. See if they offer weekend dives. I find most experienced divers are willing to teach you a thing or two if you are willing to learn. I hope I don't spark a major controversy here, but think of taking another course in the next month or two or three. It will get you in the water with an instructor, building your confidence, and will put you in touch with other students - building your buddy list.

I was looking at my log book at my first post cert dive. Got paired on a dive boat with someone with like 8 dives. We kinda got lost. Kinda freaked out. Kinda blew through my tank. Dive profile was a 68' dive with a whopping 13 minute bottom time - kind of embarassed just looking at it......:dork2:

As for the lingo, I am still working on it myself. I have to Google the acronyms used here once in a while.

Good Luck - let us know if you have any questions......

Michael

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but your profile says you're not certified, you say you don't have your "license". My guess is you haven't been trained at all. Diving on your own, you'd be a danger to yourself. Diving with an untrained buddy, you'd be a danger to each other. Diving with a dive certified buddy, you'd be a danger to him, and depending on his skill level, each other. Diving with a Divemaster, consider that Divemasters aren't necessarily qualified to lead uncertified divers on dives in some open water environments, he or she may be a danger to you.

Smart money's on take a certification class and learn your limitations.

OK, just read page two...

Once you get certified you will technically be qualified to go out and do pretty much any stupid thing you want to do, but it sounds as though you are interested in gaining some experinece first and that's a good thing.

The OW certification is more of a license to learn. Pretty much all agencies put in a phrase that says something like - qualified to dive in conditions similar or better than what you were trained in. Finish the course, get some experience and gradually increase your dive difficulty.

I've got a couple thousand dives, worked in the industry for a decade and have certified a couple hundred divers and taken hundreds more on introductory dives... but I've got zip for experience on diving in the Gulf or off oil rigs - I'd hire a DM the first time around unless I was going with divers I trusted that had experience off the particular rig we were diving. Call me cautious. Don't put a time frame on it, but if you hook up with the right people (the more experience the better, someone with little experience or bad habits is not necessarily the best to build your experience with) who can help you get your skill level to where it needs to be, you might be ready for it by the end of summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom