Dive Medicals

Should dive medicals be mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 60 87.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, @Scubagermany you wouldn't. Considering the privacy culture in Germany, I wouldn't answer your question.

If you think that your insta-buddy is a diving risk, don't dive with that person.
Suppose your buddy has a doctor-signed dive medical that dates back 6 months. Does that give you any assurance that the diver will act right in a stressful situation 6 months later?

Eventually Mother Nature taps you on your shoulder when your number is up.
(if I tap on your shoulder I just want your attention)

No, @Scubagermany you wouldn't. Considering the privacy culture in Germany, I wouldn't answer your question.

You have to remember that Germany is where the term "hostage to other" was invented...

Simple question yes or no, though would be interested in your thoughts if no, if yes when should a dive have a medical? prior to a course, every year, 5 or 10 years etc

I think this is a very important discussion the dive industry needs to have, particularly following a recent high profile death.
People should be getting d-dimer tests prior to diving. It's a test that shows blod clots breaking down, this the presence of clots. Without any recent large bruises this test sets of alarms saying you may have microclots throughout your system.

Simple question yes or no, though would be interested in your thoughts if no, if yes when should a dive have a medical? prior to a course, every year, 5 or 10 years etc

I think this is a very important discussion the dive industry needs to have, particularly following a recent high profile death.

I voted no. First, even if the medical were given by a qualified doctor familiar with diving, there is no assurance that there wouldn’t be a lurking dangerous medical condition. How far is that exam going to go to clear someone? Stress test? CAT scans? Blood tests? I am a medical doctor and will not do a dive medical exam because I know not every medical emergency is foreseeable, and I don’t want my name on a dive medical form in this litigious society.

Also, most physicals would be given by doctors who are not divers, and many would just sign people off without much thought, particularly if the diver is falsifying answers on the medical questionnaire. I have seen that happen.

Maybe the medical report would have to be signed by a qualified "SCUBA Medical Examiner" akin to an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). Even that cumbersome approach would not be foolproof. I know a retired Captain of a major airline who told me professional pilots know where to go to get an easy First Class medical sign off.

I am unaware of any statistics that suggest that a lot of people are dying because their buddy is not healthy and would have been saved if the buddy had had an intensive medical evaluation.

One of the things taught in the PADI Rescue Course is how to save yourself. If you want to save yourself don’t depend on your buddy having a questionable medical clearance. Just be honest with yourself and your doctor and get checked out.

People should be getting d-dimer tests prior to diving. It's a test that shows blod clots breaking down, this the presence of clots. Without any recent large bruises this test sets of alarms saying you may have microclots throughout your system.
That is an interesting recommendation. Is there a particular circumstance or disorder you have in mind when you mention microclots? An elevated d-dimer can also indicate the presence of larger clots like deep vein thromboses.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom