Dive Op Suggestions for Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted some nice suggestions for dive ops that are decent for the Key West area. I now it's not one of the more popular areas for Keys diving, so I figured I'd turn to the board for input.

If you have some accomodations suggestions to throw in, that would be cool too!

Thanks

OK, here's the stock "do a search or follow some of the links under the Similar Threads section at the bottom of this page" answer. There, now that that's done... :)

Captains Corner does a good job and they are and is far and away the least expensive, esp. if you are bringing your own gear (which I assume you are from your location). Subtropic and Dive Key West are also very good, but will take a lot more of your money in the process. They all go to the same reefs, so its up you to decide how much you want to spend.

You are right that its not the best diving in the Keys, but its good enough and who else has Duval Street? :D We are going back (again) in June for our anniversary and are staying at the La Concha, but I won't be diving this trip. If money is no object, I liked the location of the Hilton much better than the Hyatt. There are plenty of more reasonably priced hotels (reasonable for KW anyway) the farther you are willing to be from Duval St. Maybe call the dive ops and see if they have any package deals that would save you a few bucks.

BTW, if you are driving down, Looe Key is 20 miles up the overland highway and shouldn't be missed.

We did our certification dives with Captain's Corner several years ago because, at that time, they were the only ones with a decent web site. I figured they would have gone belly-up by now since they were so much less expensive than the others.

If you are traveling with a family, or like a little room to spread out and don't really need someone to make your beds for you, try one of the many houses and codos for rent. They generally require you stay (or pay) for at least a week, but you get a lot more space for the money. There are several sites out there that list vacation homes and condos for rent (try a yahoo or google search for key west vacation rental and you'll see what I mean). Have fun.

StSomewhere:
snip... BTW, if you are driving down, Looe Key is 20 miles up the overland highway and shouldn't be missed.
Erk... I'm zero-for-two tries so far and want to see Looe Key. As I recall it was only 20 minutes north of Key West and they say it's a "must see" (StSomewhere said it too!).

I booked with Looe Key Reef Resort & Center (http://www.diveflakeys.com/) and both their dive and hotel rates were OK. Because the trip was cancelled (too few divers on a WEEKEND lol) I only drove by but it's "typical Keys" which means low-amenity ma & pa; you're there to dive not "resort."

Good luck. If you do go with this operator I'd like to see your impressions!

Contact info is as follows:
1-800-942-5397 (Hotel)
1-800-LOOE KEY (Diving)
(305) 872-2215
Mile Marker 27.5 US Hwy 1
Ramrod Key, FL
looekeydiv@aol.com

Dr. Jay:
If you have some accomodations suggestions to throw in, that would be cool too!

Thanks

One place I reccomend you don't stay is the Southernmost Hotel or Southermost on the Beach. This place lied to us about our room location and what they call "beachfont". They then refused to give us the rate of a non beachfront room. They just really don't care about their customers.

They also don't have enough parking and force their customers to park on the street and you have to go out and continuously "feed the meter" to keep from getting a ticket. Many people there did get tickets for this.

So... be warned. DO NOT STAY HERE.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom