Dive Operators In Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My two favorites are Captain Slate's Atlantic Dive Center and Silent World. However, Blue Water Divers, Horizon Divers and Quiessence are all wonderful dive ops. I think Slate has the best prices in town and after all: you'll be diving the same reefs and wrecks! :D

Last edited:
IXΘYΣ;4669827:
Well, I'd hope so!

><))'>

Might I suggest you look at this post as well :wink:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4658658-post1.html

You see I help out many of the dive shops here. Do I love SW of course I do :D Do I think they have the best deal in town of course not :D That would be Capt Slate at this time.. Until I find a better deal that I can post for everyone :blinking:

Hope to see you in the Keys

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, this thread has a lot of "votes" but very little information. Can anyone provide info on pros/cons of different dive ops in Key Largo? Which ones get you out to the reef more quickly? Size and comfort of boats? Whether the operator is especially good for newer divers who need hand-holding or more experienced ones who seek a challenge and are picky about dive sites. Do they all have comparable prices? Quality of rental gear?

Also, if people can disclose their ties to specific operators that helps too. Thanks.

I have no formal ties to any of the Keys Operators, however, Captain Slate and I are brothers from different mothers. I know no one else who simply wants to have fun like he and I do! Affable, open to your ideas about how you want to dive, his boats are close to the best diving in the world. The ride out is a blast and you get to enjoy everything the Keys has to offer. Calling him accommodating is an understatement.

Who needs speed when you are diving in the Keys? Get relaxed! However, if you bristle under Island time, then look for the six packs. Blue Water Divers and Silent World are the fastest (in that order) of the boats I mentioned. That's purely a personal opinion as I don't have figures on their speeds in front of me!

Another thing about Slate's is that it is the northernmost dive shop in the Keys, and his boats are right in back of the shop. Why is this so important in my book?
  • You are at the shop and at the boat sooner than any other dive op and you get to miss all of the Upper Keys traffic gridlock.
  • The boats are Ocean side so you don't have that long boat ride from Bay side to Ocean side. Also he is north of Largo Sound so you save the long trip through the Sound as well.
  • You have less driving to get home after the dives. For those of us who just drive down for the day, this is great.
  • There are some really good casual restaurants on the same street for after-dive noshing.
Slate seems to have a reputation for "slow boats" but think about it, all of the dive ops have to turn the boats and tanks around for the afternoon trip. If his boats were "so slow" they wouldn't be able to do this, especially not with such a big operation. I'd give him a try, ESPECIALLY the Friday and Sunday morning "Creature Feature".

HMS Minnow runs a fine 6 pack operation and leaves a little early to beat other ops to the reef.
Blue water divers also has an excellent reputation.
One cannot forget to mention the excellent service of Conch Republic Divers
My 2cents

I enjoy diving with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. I have had experiences in the past where some other dive ops don't go out due to low diver turn out for the trip or the conditions are not so great due to wind, surge, etc. Ocean Divers seems to keep their boats going on a regular schedule regardless of how many show, and if the conditions are not ideal but still safe to dive they will take you out.

They are located close to a couple of affordable hotel locations and their boats are at the front door to their shop. They are not a "hold your hand" operation unless you want or need them to be. If you need assistance, or a guide in the water they will provide you with whatever you request, with an additional fee for guiding.

I have also enjoyed diving with Silent World, Captain Slates who have also been discussed here and you can't go wrong with either of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom