Dive ops: pimping vs legitimate info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would it be possible to have a survey template?
That was what I had purposed earlier against some pretty strong opposition.
Not really. IIRC, only a couple of you were against the idea and it even looks like DandyDon has changed his tune. It see as if more people are for it than against it now.

Doesn't mean that I think this forum or specifically Cozumel needs it but it would be good for every destination and possibly a new feature of SB. Thought about pitching the idea to Pete.... a feature of the site that would save the reviews/surveys allowing them to be searched every which way and requiring the reviewer to give responses to specific rating criteria. Sure there would still be plenty of cheerleading and personal attacks within each review but as always it's be up to the reader how to interpret the information discarding the the overtly positive and negative like with any trip report. It'd just be concisely organized and easily accessible. Personally, my best friend just moved to Bali and I'm interested in going to see him and doing some diving yet it was very difficult and time consuming sifting through all the reviews, cheerleading and other information trying to find a choice operator for a trip of a lifetime. Fortunately, I don't have that problem in Cozumel or Bonaire but flying 25 hours halfway around the world, I'd want to make sure I had my ducks in a row before arriving. YMMV

That was what I had purposed earlier against some pretty strong opposition.
:hmmm: Guess I misunderstood you, sorry...

So do some partner work maybe....?

In order for people to more easily find dive op (or hotel) reviews or trip reports, there could be a sub-folder(s) created. No prescribed format but everything in the same spot.

In order for people to more easily find dive op (or hotel) reviews or trip reports, there could be a sub-folder(s) created. No prescribed format but everything in the same spot.

Now there is an idea! Omph, but with 80+ dive ops and a couple dozen hotels that would be a lot of folders. I could also see readers getting the wrong impression when they see a folder for one huge, large capacity operator with exponentially more reviews being perceived as better than a boutique operator with only a handful of reviews.

I do the same thing when researching online retailers going by the number of reviews rather than the quality of reviews. That rule of thumb doesn't necessarily apply when researching dive ops. YMMV

I hope she meant one or two sub forums, and even at that I worry that they would be overlooked, both in posting threads that Mods would have to move, and with reading.

Yes, I meant what Don said. One or two folders. Scubadiving.com used to have a trip reports section which was sorted by georgraphic area. Not sure if they still do. I used to post reviews there but really disliked the rating system. Rating system was of quality of report by readers and not of the op or hotel.

Yes, I meant what Don said. One or two folders. Scubadiving.com used to have a trip reports section which was sorted by georgraphic area. Not sure if they still do. I used to post reviews there but really disliked the rating system. Rating system was of quality of report by readers and not of the op or hotel.

They actually did away with the rating system a few years ago and have reinstated the trip report section. The most recent reviews out of all reviews are on the main trip report page, and then older ones can be sorted out by geographic area.

Sub-forums are a great idea - but people will still post in the main forum.

Back
Top Bottom