dive ops south of Adelaide (Fleurieu Peninsula)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ocdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hoping to dive a couple of days south of Adelaide, ideally the Edithburg Jetty, which I missed out on due to weather on a prior trip. Are there any local dive ops anyone can recommend to pick up a tank and weights, and to hire a local guide as I'll be by myself? thanks!

Hi,

Firstly, Edithburgh Jetty is on the SE corner of Yorke Peninsula which is across the other side of Gulf St Vincent from the Fleurieu Peninsula. Secondly, nearly all of the Dive Stores are located in Adelaide. The choice of store will depend on where you are staying and where you intend to dive (i.e. pick up equipment from store on the way to the dive site). BTW, The nearest dive store to the Fleurieu Peninsula is 50 km away at Christies Beach. Search Yellow Pages® | Your Local Australian Business Directory using the terms 'Scuba Diving Schools' and 'South Australia'; this should yield most of the service providers.

Thanks. My geography must be off from not remembering my prior trip correctly. While I would like to dive Edithburg Jetty...it sticks out as it as I wasn't able to make it last time...I'm looking to diving well south of Adelaide, and don't want to have to go to the expense of getting a shop in Adelaide to go down there with me like I did last time. If anyone knows of shops local to Edithburg OR anywhere on the Fleurieu Peninsula to recommend, that will help me find especially a more local potential guide. If the name of the one in Christie's Beach is known, that'd be great. Prior to posting this I'd done several searches and not come up with anything.

Thanks. My geography must be off from not remembering my prior trip correctly. While I would like to dive Edithburg Jetty...it sticks out as it as I wasn't able to make it last time...I'm looking to diving well south of Adelaide, and don't want to have to go to the expense of getting a shop in Adelaide to go down there with me like I did last time. If anyone knows of shops local to Edithburg OR anywhere on the Fleurieu Peninsula to recommend, that will help me find especially a more local potential guide. If the name of the one in Christie's Beach is known, that'd be great. Prior to posting this I'd done several searches and not come up with anything.

When are you hoping to dive? If it's in summer don't forget to check the CFS site: CFS :: Current Incidents , as that will give you alerts and warnings for the Fleurieu area. Bushfires can be common this time of year in the SW of Oz.

Hi ocdiver1,

Edithburgh - there are no dive stores on Yorke Peninsula - the nearest dive store is in the northern suburbs of Adelaide (i.e. about 180 km away). Cylinder fills (air only) is available from the petrol station in Edithburgh, the IGA General Store in Port Victoria, and the dive club at Wallaroo.

Fleurieu Peninsula - the nearest dive store is Southern Diving Centre at Christies Beach in the southern suburbs of Adelaide. There is a store at Victor Harbor called Surfdiveskate (i.e. Shops 17/18 Victor Central Shopping Centre, Torrens St, Victor Harbor SA 5211, ph: (08) 8552 2094) - I think this is a surf shop that also stocks skateboards and snorkelling gear.

Here is a list of selected Adelaide dive stores that may be able to help you out:

Adelaide Scuba, Patawalonga Frontage, Glenelg North SA 5045, ph: (08) 8373 5635
Underwater Sports, 4/ 1048 Grand Junction Rd, Holden Hill SA 5088, ph: (08) 8263 3337
Southern Diving, 1 Roy Tce, Christies Beach SA 5165, ph: (08) 8382 1322
Divers Delight, 103- 111 Payneham Rd, St Peters SA 5069, ph: (08) 8363 7518
Snorkel Safari Adelaide, 46 Richmond Rd, Keswick SA 5035, ph: (08) 8371 5822
Divers Service, 80 Grange Road Welland SA 5007 (08) 8346 3422

You also should watch the weather; it can be quite windy at this time of year. For example, the east coast of Gulf St Vincent is OK at the moment (i.e. 10.30am Adelaide time on 5 Jan 2013) but is likely to be too rough for any diving this afternoon. The following page on the (Australian) Bureau of Meterology is worth consulting on a regular basis -http://http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/map.shtml.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2013 at 11:10 AM ----------

When are you hoping to dive? If it's in summer don't forget to check the CFS site: CFS :: Current Incidents , as that will give you alerts and warnings for the Fleurieu area. Bushfires can be common this time of year in the SW of Oz.

Hi ~zeroed~, This is excellent advice which is relevant to many parts of rural South Australia as well as other parts of southern Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom