Dive Optx "bifocal" inserts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have specific experience with use of these "reader" inserts? I can't get a longer arm, so I need some way to read those pesky little numbers on my wrist computer.

Appreciate any thoughts or input - thanks!

EDIT - OK, I SHOULD HAVE SEARCHED THE FORUM FIRST. FOUND PLENTY OF INFO ON THESE ITEMS, AND THEY SOUND PRETTY GOOD.

Ray

Yes. I put one in. I was set to have the eye doctor make a little bifocal, and I was going to bond it to the glass of the mask. His advice was only use one, and put it low and left. Instead, I bought the stick-ons and put one each low and left in both of my masks and it works just fine. It is only noticed when I read a gauge.

There is a product that is very similar, maybe the exact same thing. They are sold for industrial safety glasses. These are $8 instead of $30. You can buy them on-line. Sometimes we pay more for products marked "diving".

Best of luck with it.

Stu

Yep, the cheap ones are the same and work on the same principle of adhesion. Since you are eventually going to lose them, go cheap. I also use just one on each of my masks. They work fine as long as you don't need a radical + correction.

Yes. I put one in. I was set to have the eye doctor make a little bifocal, and I was going to bond it to the glass of the mask. His advice was only use one, and put it low and left. Instead, I bought the stick-ons and put one each low and left in both of my masks and it works just fine. It is only noticed when I read a gauge.

There is a product that is very similar, maybe the exact same thing. They are sold for industrial safety glasses. These are $8 instead of $30. You can buy them on-line. Sometimes we pay more for products marked "diving".

Best of luck with it.

Stu

Where do yo get the $8 ones online or where

I've had good luck with mine. It took awhile to find the exactly right spot for them in my mask, but once I got it right it made a huge difference. Enough actually that I had custom lenses put in my primary mask, and now have the inserts in my back-up.

I'm glad that I started out with the inserts; it gave me time to play around with where to put them. I found the perfect "height" of the inserts, where I can swim in trim, and without moving my head - just by looking down - can glance at my gauges. I measured and marked the exact height of the inserts, and communicated that information to the company that did my custom lenses.

I went with Prescription Dive Masks

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

and was very happy with the communication before I ordered the lenses, the turn-around time, the quality of the work and the precision of the insert location. They matched my measurements perfectly.

There is one caveat to using these magnifiers. If you have astigmatism they might not work very well. If your glasses prescription has some type of "cylinder" correction, that's for astigmatism. Then you might need a custom lens that would have to be glued in with a specific orientation.

As the OP in this "zombie thread" I'll add that I had good luck with the $8 version purchased at my local Walgreen for about 250 dives. Ultimately went to contact lenses as I needed to be able to see dive and cycling computers much better than a mask insert would allow.

Will be interested to see if this thread reappears in another seven years. Sort of like cicadas, no?

Back
Top Bottom