Dive Preparations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just hydrate yourself well man. I'm not one to get seasick easily, so I like a hearty (but non-gas causing) breakfast because it helps me stay warm. Biscuits and gravy, corned beef hash...mmmmm! Just gotta have the animal crackers handy for when you're back on the boat!

TheDom:
Just hydrate yourself well man. I'm not one to get seasick easily, so I like a hearty (but non-gas causing) breakfast because it helps me stay warm. Biscuits and gravy, corned beef hash...mmmmm! Just gotta have the animal crackers handy for when you're back on the boat!

If there is one rule I have its: Don't eat something that likes vomit before actually vomitting.

Seriously though, I think it's important to distinguish if this is going to be an ocean or boat dive. You definitely don't want greasy stuff sloshing around in your stomach every swell, and you want to make sure you're hydrated in case someone pushes your internal "purge" button.

Virgil:
been talking recently over what preparations my buddies make in respect of food intake in the few days leading up to a day's diving. Opinions seem to vary between complex carb loading, high protein, high energy/slow release etc but without too much consistency.

does anyone have a particular routine and justification for what they eat prior to diving or is it just choke down a couple of Snickers bars and go for it?
Its not like going to the moon as long as you dont drink a lot the night before and you eat normal you will be fine

oscar_2424:
Its not like going to the moon as long as you dont drink a lot the night before and you eat normal you will be fine

Although you did not single out my post, I will respond :) .

The reason I choose not to drink alcohol or caffeine is not for some mysterious energy boost while underwater, it is all about preventing DCS. If I puke, I puke, not really that big a deal. It goes right through my regulator, or at least it has when I have needed to test this "feature", and I am much more likely to get seasick than suffer the ill effects of the wrong choice for breakfast.

Seasick is temporary, gas is temporary, discomfort from greasy food is temporary, DCS can be permanent. Juice and water has always been a part of my dive experience, I intend to keep up that tradition.

Mark Vlahos

I guess I have a different metabolism than your average person, because greasy foods don't bother me in the least. My standard breakfast before a long day of diving is a 3 egg ham, cheese and onion omelet, corned beef hash and grits (when I can get them). The only change I make is to start hydrating heavily the day before and I pound water and Gatorade all dive between and after dives.

ibnygator:
I guess I have a different metabolism than your average person, because greasy foods don't bother me in the least. My standard breakfast before a long day of diving is a 3 egg ham, cheese and onion omelet, corned beef hash and grits (when I can get them). The only change I make is to start hydrating heavily the day before and I pound water and Gatorade all dive between and after dives.

i like to eat a wa-wa hoagie, (they're always open) a cherry coke, a gatorade and a dramamine before i go boat diving. a snack and a gatorade at the s.i. and right after i stow my gear i like an ice cold heineken or three on the ride back in. it's almost like a pagan ritual. if i'm on a dive vacation i still eat and drink normally but i really pound down the gatorade.

phillybob:
i like to eat a wa-wa hoagie, (they're always open) a cherry coke, a gatorade and a dramamine before i go boat diving. a snack and a gatorade at the s.i. and right after i stow my gear i like an ice cold heineken or three on the ride back in. it's almost like a pagan ritual. if i'm on a dive vacation i still eat and drink normally but i really pound down the gatorade.

Yes....gatorade does in fact, rock. More of a Guinness man myself though. And dramamine.... *shudders* only time I ever got even remotely seasick....well, sick at sea is more the term for it, was when I took dramamine on an empty stomach because someone kept nagging at me to take it...."wouldn't wanna get seasick, would we" *looks for a barfing emoticon*

I guess the "thai-hot" red curry with a pint of pepper vodka is out, eh? (Prepping for the Warhammer Maneuver!)

I remember one dive where we went out onto 5-6' seas after eating some huge veggie subs from the only place near the marina, a health food shop. The carrots and avocados made such colorful puke. Attracted lots of fish, though...

I like to eat light before and between the dives, then gorge like a pig afterwords.

If you're even in Seattle and dive with OEX2, ask him to take you for Mexican after the dives, and take a try at the largest burrito on the planet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom