Dive Profile Analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baptizo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last week while in Cozumel, I suffered a case of DCS. I was treated with one round in the chamber. I stayed additional days before flying home. I am still not feeling well.

I dove 3 consecutive days with 2-tank morning dives with an hour in between.
I had my Cressi computer on each dive.

After getting home and uploading computer data, I saw that I did run the NDL clock down into the single digits several times.

I have been reading for a week now (and learning) about the different algorithms.

My question is:
Is there some type of software that I can input the Depth and Time recording into that would compare output of the different algorithms? (I have Subsurface and a trial copy of DecoPlanner (gue) already.)

For example. My cressi uses the RGBM (and I know I pushed it the edge), but what would a Shearwater running ZH-L16 shown I exceeded the NDL?

I am not interested in all the thoughts concerning the different algorithms. None of them are an exact science. I also know there are no sure things.

But I did get sick, and I do have my dive data. And I would like to compare the different models.

Just trying to figure out what happened. Thanks for yalls help.

If it was a relatively square profile you can put that into DecoPlanner. I don't usually use subsurface but I THINK you can upload a profile and then manually select a GF set and overlay that against it.

That all said, if you were still within NDL you probably had something else going on, dehydrated, super tired, etc etc that contributed to it so even if you put a reasonable recreational diving GF of say 60/85 or even 50/70 over it you may find that you don't have hugely different results.

I have no idea but I do hope you find something. Seems like a very interesting data crunch, and I applaud you for trying to do it and hope that you share when you do...and good luck for a speedy recovery!

As @napDiver said, in subsurface, go to File > Preferences > Tech setup and you can change the algorithm between VPM-B (with conservatism adjustment) and Buhlman (with GF hi/low adjustment)

On the graph for your dive, make sure these three icons are highlighted:
1674782763874.png

And then you'll have the green shaded section highlighting what your calculated N2 loaded (the curved part) and your calculated ceiling (the square part)

1674782587954.png

You can also toggle this icon, which is a bit further down:
1674782861536.png

Which will show your calculated NDL in the popup Information display:
1674782913755.png

Attachments

• 1674782629289.png
    1674782629289.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 50
Thank yall for the great info.

Tbone- "That all said, if you were still within NDL you probably had something else going on, dehydrated, super tired, etc etc that contributed to it"

I know your right, and the truth is, I was tired, and told myself to sleep in, but I had already paid my money! Its always hard to tell about hydration. I think what I am learning is those "other factors" are probably more important than I gave them credit. Plus I'm 46 and not 18 anymore!

Westfall - never heard of PFO, but now I have. I will definitely look into that! Thank you.

Subsuface - thanks for the tips, I will keep working at it.

If I can't figure out why or what happened, it makes me worry about ever going back down. Could it really be just a freak thing? If so how will I ever avoid in the future? I REALLY dont ever want to experience this again!

I will post my findings from subsurface in a few days, but I have to take a break. I have been obsessed with this for a week!

If I can't figure out why or what happened, it makes me worry about ever going back down. Could it really be just a freak thing? If so how will I ever avoid in the future? I REALLY dont ever want to experience this again!

If I were you, I'll be doing my utmost to find out why starting with check for PFO before I return to diving. I must also get cleared for returning to diving by a qualified DAN physician.

Thank yall for the great info.

Tbone- "That all said, if you were still within NDL you probably had something else going on, dehydrated, super tired, etc etc that contributed to it"

I know your right, and the truth is, I was tired, and told myself to sleep in, but I had already paid my money! Its always hard to tell about hydration. I think what I am learning is those "other factors" are probably more important than I gave them credit. Plus I'm 46 and not 18 anymore!

Westfall - never heard of PFO, but now I have. I will definitely look into that! Thank you.

Subsuface - thanks for the tips, I will keep working at it.

I will post my findings from subsurface in a few days, but I have to take a break. I have been obsessed with this for a week!

Post the graph in subsurface with 50/70 and 60/85 overlaid and make sure to do full resolution, full screen shots so we can see everything. It is unlikely that it was something in the dive profile but anything is possible. With DCS much of the "undeserved" hits are really just fluke incidents that medicine can't explain and are unlikely to recur, could be something, but without seeing the dive profile of the dive that you got hit but also the ones from the day before it's really difficult to offer any opinions, however unbacked by an MD most of ours will be, but they are at least backed by years of experience.
I would contact DAN and try to get a recommendation for someone close to you, and possibly search the interwebs for @Dr. Doug Ebersole 's contact info if you start going down the PFO route as it is certainly not the likely culprit.

Besides the algorithm, you also need to consider how conservative the computer is set. What model of Cressi do you have, and what is it set to? I believe Cressi calls this setting the "Safety Factor" where the default SF0 is least conservative and SF2 is most conservative.

I often dive with 2 friends who have the same computer (Suunto Eon Core) as me, but all at different settings. I set mine at the default, friend M sets his at -2 Most aggressive and friend K sets hers at +2 Most conservative. As we turned to head up the wall recently my computer was showing 5 minutes of NDL, M's 8 Minutes and K's 2.

Back
Top Bottom