Dive Report -23 Mar 07- Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba:
In what way?

Bad vis in Carmel, and seemed like a complete repeat of what I went through last Saturday too so its the bad luck fairy that is following me or this month, I'm just diving for something big. The good news is I haven't touch my inflator as it is a sign that my buoyancy is at its peak and that I have achieved neutral buoyancy with no problem :).

Some of us dove Lover's with our X's. We hit 80ish and never saw better than about 6' vis (22 minutes out before turning). It was cool seeing three divers keep together on scooters in 3-6' vis while moving roughly 100-200 fpm. That means you can see about 2-4 seconds in front of you.

Yee haw!

Hope y'all have better conditions this weekend!

paulwlee:
Was Dionna on the X-scooter too? If so, how did she like it? :)

Yea, she liked it! A day diving a scooter is a fun day!

I got a chance to dive the X-scooter with Johnathan on Sunday. We did the .02 tour of Breakwater to the Barge, then to the Metridium fields, then back to the wall. It took me a few minutes to experiment and work with the tow cord length and to figure out how to adjust the position of the bolt snap that's not fixed on the tow cord. It seemed so small, of course I'm used to the Gavin. By the last half of the dive I was getting pretty comfortable working on some barrel rolls and such.

Getting out of the water with an 80 cu ft stage bottle and carrying the X was only possible because of it's light weight. Once I shed the extra gear, my doubles felt light. Weight is certainly relative!

What a fun dive!

rainman_02:
Some of us dove Lover's with our X's. We hit 80ish and never saw better than about 6' vis (22 minutes out before turning). It was cool seeing three divers keep together on scooters in 3-6' vis while moving roughly 100-200 fpm. That means you can see about 2-4 seconds in front of you.

Yee haw!

Touch contact scootering? :)

rainman_02:

Yee haw!

YeeHaw indeed. I have now knowlodge or experience w/ scooters. But if you are in a lo vis situation don't you need to consider the potential of a crash? Shouldn't you reduce speed to the point that you could stop in at most 1/2 the distance from the point that you realize you have a potential collision? Am I being to "naval retentive" here?

Fantastic salutations...

Randolphscott.

Randolphscott:
YeeHaw indeed. I have now knowlodge or experience w/ scooters. But if you are in a lo vis situation don't you need to consider the potential of a crash? Shouldn't you reduce speed to the point that you could stop in at most 1/2 the distance from the point that you realize you have a potential collision? Am I being to "naval retentive" here?

Fantastic salutations...

Randolphscott.

Nah.. those scooter guys are just a bunch of lunatics. Their prolly the same lot that dive the breakwater with doubles and stage bottles.

OK, so here's a lunatic bet.

Drop one of those tanks from your double setup and add another scooter! Less mass / drag; more speed! That's right; double scooters. Would you go way to fast then?? Might be fun...

Okay, I'm just messing around. Still trying to get the basics ironed out. Long way to go...

How fast do those scooters go anyways?

R

Oh yeah, and back on the naval retentive idea; don't you need to sound off the air horn one long blast at least once every two minutes???

One more thing: I think I'll be on the Escapade again this Saturday. Come on by and make fun of my new back plate and wing meets PADI setup..

Air2 on a Halcyon BP rig. No kidding... DIR vs. AIR2.

hm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom