DIVE REPORT: 4/10 Bigelow Pond, Union CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I had day 1 of my check out dives today at Bigelow Pond in Union, CT.

Air temp was in the high 40s to low 50s, winds blowing 10-20mph. Water temp at the surface was around 50 degrees, 47 at the bottom. Vis was about 10 feet until I kicked up the silt off the bottom.

My DI went in dry, I used a 7mm full wet and was fine (until I got out and the wind hit me). Spent about 2 hrs total in the water and was actually comfortable. Had a few fish follow us around, and we ended up feeding them a few muscles we found on the bottom.

There was nobody there when we went in, but had a group of 5 divers gearing up on our way out. My 2nd day of diving is Sunday 4/11 @ 1100. If anyone has any questions, let me know!

I'm almost there!

Day two went great!

Water temps were the same, wind wasn't as bad, but did pick up a little after noon.

With where we dove, it was about 20 feet deep. There's not much out in the middle, its more about staying around the edges where its more rocky.

We fed fish again today, did some navigation, and a few other skills.

Ultimately, I walked away with my temporary Open Water card!

J Bert,

Congratulations!

When you get to the ocean be sure you buddy realizes it will be your first time. It's s till diving but depending how ocean savvy you already may be it's not quite the same.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks! My dive buddy (also my best friend) is 8 months ahead of me, and has a few ocean dives under his belt. He's been very helpful in my certification process. I actually just came home from a rescue class we're taking together, so its good to keep that connection going.

Would anyone daring enough be willing to take me out into more substantial water so I can get some more experience? I'm not looking for anything nuts, just trying to "get my feet wet"!

we just did a dive there saturday and monday. im pretty sure we were the group of 5 going out! a great place to go n just do a fun dive is jamestown RI. real easy shore entry, its a cove so its protected from the elements and theres usually and abundance of marine life. we went in early march and it was pretty damn cold though (bottom was 39). now it shouldnt be too bad, prolly much like the lake.

Were you the group that just bought crack in Enfield? Matt got a kick out of that one lol.

Pete,
Would anyone daring enough be willing to take me out into more substantial water so I can get some more experience? I'm not looking for anything nuts, just trying to "get my feet wet"!

I do take a special interest in helping new divers keep their gear damp. If you're up this way some time give me a shout!

Pete

Were you the group that just bought crack in Enfield? Matt got a kick out of that one lol.

haaa that was us! john told us to say it. the lake was great that day wasnt it?

Back
Top Bottom