Dive Report - Easter Weekend at BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katie,

Always happy to hear positive dive reports, I'm glad you guys got out and had a good time. There's nothing like knowing you made the right decision calling a dive (and coming back at a later time to have a great dive!).

See you around!
Kenn

Hi Katie,

That's an awesome report! 10 dives and you are already luvin those conditions?! My first local dive had similar vis and I also came up smiling :D!!

It was fantastic to meet both you and Neil. It takes talent to catch some safe/fun dives on a weekend like that, glad you made it happen and also knew when to call the dive!

Hey, let's hop in the water when you get back in town. Hopefully conditions are better, you'll get to sample the bp/w rig and see a bit more of our local beauty :). I can't wait for you to dive Lobos!

I bailed on my teammates Kathy and Erik due to the conditions. Still glad I did! Way to far to drive for crappy conditions.

Well conditions WERE interesting, but I think Erik will agree we did have a pretty good 78 minute dive down to 49ft. It was kinda fun doing S drills in the swirling mist and seeing rocks appear in front of our eyes just a foot or two away. Sometimes we were 7" off the bottom and couldn't really see it, around 40ft of depth the darkness closed in from above -- very surrealistic! We saw two fish, I think :).

It was great diving with Erik but wasn't the same without you Peter! Hope to catch up with the entire team really soon :)!!

Last edited:
Very cool, good report! Hopefully you'll get some better viz and less surgey conditions. The BW can be a really amazing dive on the right day.

Yes, in fact on my next to last cert dive a few Januarys' ago, we could clearly see the end of the big pipe (and our AI who was down there) from the surface, i.e. 45'. I've never seen it that good again, although I have had 40' of horizontal vis on one or two occasions. But it's usually 15' or so, and I generally don't bother when it gets down to 5' or less (had 4" in a red tide). I'm still finding more stuff to map, despite spending a year out there doing almost nothing but.

And despite there being 'better' shore dives in Monterey/Carmel, I still have a good time at BW despite the 50+ dives I've done there.

Guy

Guy

I guess I just have a special place in my heart for the BW. I almost always have fun diving there. :D

I have to agree, while BW is far from my favorite site, I've had some truly fantastic dives there, and it's never an "oh well, guess we'll have to settle for BW" location for me :)

I think I fall into that category of "as long as I'm under some water." I did my first OW checkout dives in a murky lake with maybe 4-5' of visibility. The instructor kept apologizing and making jokes about the "rockfish," but I loved every minute of it.

It was great diving with Erik but wasn't the same without you Peter! Hope to catch up with the entire team really soon :)!!

Thanks Kathy :cool2:

I have not dove since class, so it has been a long time with any fun diving. Of course we chatted the other day and you know what I have been up too. Life is good :D

Thanks Kathy :cool2:

I have not dove since class, so it has been a long time with any fun diving. Of course we chatted the other day and you know what I have been up too. Life is good :D

It's the curse of the Fundies. Or maybe it's just living far from Monterey. I didn't dive for almost 3 months after. But I've been trying to make it down at least 1-2x per month lately.

One of my favorite PNW divers has a saying: You will never have a bad dive in Puget Sound, if you focus on what's there, and not what's not.

It applies to anywhere. If you are completely present during the dive, and ready to receive whatever things are there to love or marvel at, every dive is a great dive. My one Breakwater dive was a night dive, which we spent swimming like maniacs trying to keep up with our guide. I remember being astonished at the white sea pens, which are different from what we have in Puget Sound, and finding an enormous fish in the breakwater rocks, whose identity I still don't know.

For new divers, the Breakwater is a great place to go, and there are many things they haven't seen, or things that they still have eyes open enough to enjoy. It's those of us who feel we need to look for more exciting dive sites, who should be pitied.

KLJ,

When you have viz days like you did, every 4 feet is something new, if you look hard. I for example found a used Burger King ketchup package at the Metridiums Saturday.

It was in about 51 feet of absolute zero viz, but it came out of nowhere and was really neat, to bring it back to the boat, I felt like I was a treasure hunter, well maybe a trash hunter, but you get the point.

Cool neat stuff comes out of nowhere when you have crap viz... :)

Back
Top Bottom