Dive Report: Pensacola Offshore 8/28/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Met up at Team Recharge headquarters with Larry, Barry, and Ted early Sunday morning. The plan was to dive new spots in the Gulf, so we checked our GPS numbers and headed out. It was a bit choppy in the Bay, but once we cleared the pass, we found seas to be about 1.5ft, with an occasional 2-footer here and there. It was a beautiful day, and we made quick time to our first drop, CENSORED which most of us had dove before (we saved the new stuff for later :wink: ).

Normally, we tie in to deeper wrecks, but I suggested that we use my super-awesome, breathtakingly accurate anchor-dropping skills to at least try a hook-in to the structure below us. Everyone agreed it was worth a shot, so I took the helm and advised Ted to stand by with the anchor. Needless to say, we dropped the anchor into a 10ft section of the wreck that resulted in a perfect hook-up. (don’t tell anyone on Team Recharge that it was 90% luck shhhhh)

Once we were hooked-in, Barry and I splashed to find crappy viz down to about 75ft. Things opened nicely below that, but the topside muck made this site darker than usual. I had taken my camera to get some stills, but Barry snatched up a lobster as soon as we hit the wreck, and I was rapidly infected with “bug fever”. I ended up taking three shots, and spent the rest of my time looking for the tasty critters in every nook and cranny. Viz topped out at around 35 or so, and temps were comfortable despite the noticeable thermocline around 65ft.

Remarkably, there wasn’t too much that a spearfisherman would have been interested in. We saw a few triggers, but no flounder, just a handful of undersized amberjack. The red snapper were holding about 30feet away from the wreck. We also didn't see any lionfish (at least I didn't), which is strange, because I've been seeing them on EVERYTHING for past two months or so.

Our second drop was the old Pensacola fishing pier. I’m not usually wild about concrete reefs, but this one seemed to be the spot of octopuses. I had to have seen at least 20, including a few out in the open. Needless to say, this was the dive I left the camera on the boat :depressed:. We saw all the usual critters, and surprised a napping sea turtle. He was close enough to pet, but I did my best to just get out of the way so Barry could shoot some video, which I hope he got. I also saw a fair-sized bull shark, and an unusually high number of large barracuda, who seemed to be on the prowl, and were darting about regularly, as if in pursuit or retreat. I wasn’t wild about this spot. The turtle, the shark, and the octopuses were the only thing keeping me from saying this was a sub-par dive. Viz was good though, I’d say 50ft.

Third drop was a barge with Merry-go-rounds. Larry and Ted hit this spot on their own, but said the conditions were similar to our first dive.

Everyone had afternoon stuff to do, so we skipped our usual debrief at Fuji Steakhouse and returned to headquarters, where we busied ourselves with boat, fish, and lobster cleaning.

Thanks to Team Recharge, and Larry, Barry, and Ted for a great day on the water. I’ll be cooking up my share of the lobster tonight, and hopefully watching some of Barry’s or Larry’s pics and videos.

Struggle to the death
IMG_3091a.jpg

Hidden treasure!
IMG_3092a.jpg

Lobster: The other white meat
IMG_3095a.jpg

Hmmmm..Yeah I'm not around when you catch the lobster...

Alex showed he before photos and here are some of my after photos of our lobster :eyebrow: :

DSC02136.jpg

I'll be expecting that after shot at Vortoberfest. :D

You're bringing Lobster? I'll be happy to cook it if you bring it!

Actually, I was planning on eating the ones you bring and cook. :D

Looks like one of Denise's agents was captured behind enemy lines!

Shopper arrested with live lobsters in shorts
Shopper arrested with live lobsters in shorts - Yahoo! News
AP

D'IBERVILLE, Miss. (AP) — A man in southern Mississippi is accused of trying to walk out of a D'Iberville grocery store without paying for food items he'd stuffed into his cargo shorts including live lobsters.

Police Chief Wayne Payne says 35-year-old Nathan Mark Hardy was arrested Saturday after allegedly being caught stuffing food into his cargo shorts — two bags of jumbo shrimp, a pork loin and two live lobsters.

Payne says Hardy, of Biloxi, tried to escape by throwing the pork loin at employees at the local Winn Dixie but fell while running away. He was arrested at the scene.

The shoplifting charge is a misdemeanor, but Hardy remained jailed Wednesday in the Harrison County jail with no bond pending a hearing on a probation violation.

Back
Top Bottom