Dive Report: Sodwana – South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Date: 01/11/2006
Dive Location: Sodwana – South Africa
Buddy: Lisa Miller
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth: 40ft
Vis: 80ft +
Wave height: Huge man
Temp at depth: 76F
Tide information: No idea
Gas mix: Air
Comments:

Images: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/shakazulu/Sodwana+-+South+Africa/

I’ve always wanted to dive Sodwana on the east coast of South Africa. Sodwana Bay is situated on the coast within the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park, South Africa’s first World Heritage Site. Andrew from Scubaboard recommended I give Digger and Michelle a call at “Da Blu Juice”. I’m happy I did this, as they run a family operation and is willing to go out of their way to make your stay the best. Thanks for everything guys, you guys rock!

http://www.sodwana-scuba-diving.za.net/

On our first dive, we opted to go to “2 Mile Reef”, since this would be Lisa’s first dive after being certified. The main dive sites are named in accordance with their distance from the launch area (Quartermile to Ninemile Reef). The ocean was crazy that day, with huge swells, and I didn’t think the visibility would be good, let alone Lisa handle the boat ride. After the local DAN representative told her that “ocean sickness” is all in the mind, we were off. Half way out, a big set came at us with walls of water, feathering at the top in anticipation of breaking. Adam spun the boat around, allowing the waves to break before reaching us, thereby expending most of their energy. The next attempt was successful. The boat ramped some steep swells and we were past the surf zone and soon we were at the dive site.

We dropped down in 40ft of water, and my breath was taken away. Being used to the cold dark waters of San Diego, it was a pleasure to see 80ft plus (dove with contacts, first time). The water was a warm toasty 76 degrees, and it looked like I was dropped in a fish tank. Hard coral structures with numerous overhangs and bright tropical fish everywhere. I took a lot of pictures, but in my hastiness, forgot to adjust the auto focus for underwater photography, never the less, still got some good shots.

The next day, we left early for “5 Mile Reef”. This site revealed similar structure as the first, and lots of fish. I may add that Digger and Adam find these sites in the middle of nowhere, without a GPS. This dive was dedicated to finding nudi’s but I only found one at the end of the dive, and my camera’s macro function sucks as clearly evident by the picture in the gallery.

The second dive of the day, Digger asked if I wanted to do a dive with the “raggies”, short for Ragged-Tooth sharks (also known as Sand Tiger Sharks). I asked if it’s a cage dive, and the answer was NO……hmmm. I’m not the kind of guy to show fear, but I must say, I had some feelings of anxiety. Lisa wasn’t ready for this dive, so she opted out. Digger ran us through the basics of shark diving, and we were off to the site. The intend was to drop a distance away from the reef were these guys was hanging out, drop to the bottom as fast as possible (no air in BC when you leave the boat), and then swim slowly towards the reef. We were told not the trap the sharks between us and the reef.

Well, I did a back roll off the boat, and dropped to the bottom. In the corner of my eye, I spotted what to me looked like an underwater airliner, geezuz, we weren’t supposed to see them already. I closed my eyes and tried to think happy thoughts, till I hit the bottom. The last thing I wanted to see was one of these guys coming to say hi to me. Slowly we swam closer and took cover between the coral. It was amazing, about 12 raggies were cruising the reef. They ranged in size from 10 to 15 ft, which is BIG by the way. I was overwhelmed by a feeling of fear and the appreciation for the majesty of these unique animals. These sharks are safe to divers if not provoked but look quite ferocious with their big, pointed, irregular teeth. The teeth of the ragged tooth shark are very different to those of the white shark. Raggies' teeth are sharp, round and curved and are designed to hold their prey while they swallow it whole. The white shark, on the other hand, has sharp, heavy, triangular teeth for cutting their prey, such as seals, firstly to kill them and then to reduce the carcass to manageable pieces.

A surprising calmness came over me as my camera finger started pushing the button profusely, ever so careful not to take pictures in the danger zone in front of the sharks (Note: Turn the flash off before you start taking pictures, they indicate irritation by slapping their tale fins). At one point, we were looking forward at a group of raggies, when for no reason, I was wondering what would be behind me. Geeezuz, a huge raggie was coming straight for me. I pushed my finger into a hole in the hard coral, trying to get myself closer to the sandy bottom. Something in the hole was trying to get out, but I was not letting go. The shark came so close to me that my camera could not focus properly. Thank god the wetsuits was rented………This was definitely the highlight of my trip, and I would recommend it. There is something about being in such close quarters with such huge animals and no cage.

Awesome pictures Roy!! Oh my gosh, those sharks!!! Whoa!

Thanks, I must still run those pics through PhotoShop to bring back the color, as soon as I get some time from this job of mine. The sharks was the best.

The place did seem so normal while you were gone. :D
Sounds like you had a nice trip and those sharks do look scarey.
Welcome back.

dlndavid:
The place did seem so normal while you were gone. :D
Sounds like you had a nice trip and those sharks do look scarey.
Welcome back.

Thanks man, missed you guys too, just kidding. Had to come back so that I can make more money to go on the next adventure, now where will that be?

scubaculture:
Cool [ics, sounds like you enjoyed yourself alot.

Now... when are the rest of you guys coming!
It's great to see our foriegn friends (especially American) are discovering Sawdies and enjoying what we "locals" have enjoyed for years!!!

Nice report, we are planning on going in June. Do you remember how deep the Sand Tiger dive was? Typically how many dives a day could you do? We had just planned on bringing masks, computers, and camera; any idea of the quality of the rental gear?
Thanks

Typical dive day is two dives, with the possibility of a night dive if the conditions are great and there are enough willing divers.

Rental gear varies from operator to operator. The operators I know at Sodwana all have reasonable rental gear.

I would take my own wetsuit, fins, mask, computer and regulator if possible.
Make sure to contact the operator you intend using to ensure they have all the gear you will require.

Depending on the time of year, the Ragged Tooth Sharks can be found on 1/4 Mile Reef, which is just over 400m offshore in the bay. This is generally in May/June.

These sharks grow up to 3m in length and are not aggressive if approached carefully.
We regulary dive with up to 15 or more at Sodwana and Aliwal Shoal (South of Durban).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom