Dive Rite incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

navillus:
I took my regulator back to the center that first serviced it. They told me that the Intermediate Pressure was definitely set too low, and they apologized for that. I ask them why my octo worked fine if the IP was the problem. His response was, "I don't know, I just know that the IP was set too low and that it should solve the problem."

I hoped it works. I'd hate to ruin another dive because of a bad regulator, and I especially don't like checking if my gear works at 80 feet. Should I pick up my reg and try it, or take it to another shop for a second opinion? (My mind is wondering how my octo - an APEKS 20 - could work and my primary - the Diverite- not if the IP was set too low. That should have affected both, or am I wrong?):huh:

The two regs probably handle low IP differently. That at least certainly appears to be what you experienced. I'd pickup an IP checker. They are pretty inexpensive. I purchased mine from Dive Rite Express for $22:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/ipg.shtml

I'd go ahead and dive with the regulator, but not to 80 ft. I'd do a couple of test dives at gradually increasing depth. Make sure your buddy knows what you're doing so that they stay close and ready if you have a problem.

navillus:
I took my regulator back to the center that first serviced it. They told me that the Intermediate Pressure was definitely set too low, and they apologized for that. I ask them why my octo worked fine if the IP was the problem. His response was, "I don't know, I just know that the IP was set too low and that it should solve the problem."

I hoped it works. I'd hate to ruin another dive because of a bad regulator, and I especially don't like checking if my gear works at 80 feet. Should I pick up my reg and try it, or take it to another shop for a second opinion? (My mind is wondering how my octo - an APEKS 20 - could work and my primary - the Diverite- not if the IP was set too low. That should have affected both, or am I wrong?):huh:

I believe you are right. Low IP should not result in failure to deliver gas. I suggest you insist the DS disassemble & inspect the 2nd & it's LP hose to verify all appears to be correct there. The DR Adj & balanced adj are both fairly complex regs in terms of simple parts counts (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/manuals.shtml)

If all looks good, I suggest you have them loan you another primary 2nd to add as a third 2nd stage to your rig for at least a few dives.

You might also contact the manufacturer and discuss this problem with them.

There is a somewhat sticky issue with bringing it back to the shop that serviced it; if they set the IP way too low, off enough to cause this kind of problem, (setting IP is a simple and basic task in reg service) are they the ones to diagnose and fix a potentially hard to find problem that may or may not exist with your 2nd stage?

Unless they can give you some definite answer why the dive rite 2nd did not work at depth but the apex did, like they were tuned very different IPs, I'd take that as a sign that they probably don't know what's going on with it and look elsewhere for service. The other thing I'd be interested in them explaining is why this would be a depth related issue, as IP is supposed to change with ambient....lets say for argument's sake it was at 60PSI rather than 120; once you got to 60 ft or so it should have been at 60+45 (or whatever ambient is at 60 ft)...so to me the 2nd stage should have been starved regardless of depth, unless there was something in the 1st stage that was not allowing IP to change with ambient. I could be way off here, just guessing.

The other thing I'd be interested in them explaining is why this would be a depth related issue, as IP is supposed to change with ambient....lets say for argument's sake it was at 60PSI rather than 120; once you got to 60 ft or so it should have been at 60+45 (or whatever ambient is at 60 ft)...so to me the 2nd stage should have been starved regardless of depth, unless there was something in the 1st stage that was not allowing IP to change with ambient. I could be way off here, just guessing.

Concur. A flow restriction has the symptoms you described originally (harder to breath at depth). Low IP should just be hard to breath at all depths. Something is fishy and it ain't the Grouper you saw on your last dive...

First of all thanks for all the help you have been giving me.

Someone asked what regs I have. My first stage is the Dive Rite RG1205 with cold water kit. My primary second is the RG2010. I purchased these new two years ago and have 30 dives on them. My octo is a used Apeks 20.

I picked up my regulator, and the service technician is convinced that someone tampered with my regs. He said the IP was set below 90psi, when it should be set at 125psi. He is convinced that he did not do it, but that someone tampered with my regs. All I can say is that I have never even put a hex wrench (or any other wrench) close to my regulator. He knows that I didn't, but he can't imagine himself making such a mistake.

I still don't understand why my Apeks would breath that much better, and neither does he.

I took my regulator to another shop, and they said that it was quite possibly the IP, and that I should just dive with it to check it out. After this second opinion, this is what I will do - I guess - just safely and make my descents slowly. Maybe a shallow dive to check it out first. I have to wait until next weekend, unfortunately. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

From what I understand most IPs should be set to around 140psi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom