Dive Rite TransPac and TransPlate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumguy

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with both of these? If I wanted a TransPac for some dives and a backplate with the TransPlate for others, can I just disassemble the TransPac and use its components instead of having both? (Does that make sense?) It looks to me like the shoulder straps and waist strap are the same, at least from the pix I've seen. I have a Dive Rite Travel wing, and just ordered a Jet Harness flat backplate, so now I'm ready to order the harness or the TransPac; possibly both. Any thoughts?

transpac or the harness?
u talkin about the transpac or the wrec pac?
i have a transpac, and dont use a backplate at all

The TransPlate harness utilizes the shoulder strap assemblies from the Transpac with the waist strap from a traditional harness and mounts to a back plate. The advantage is easier and more comfortable fit than a traditional back plate harness. Theoretically, you could transfer the shoulder straps back and forth from a TransPac to a TransPlate rig. But you would find that it would be far more effort than you expect.

o i see what he wants to do now
i persoanlly have a transpac for all my diving, and recently got a second and leave my doubles. im happy with it both configurations

I would rather stick a sharp stick in my eye that thread and rethread this harness back a forth between the Transpac and the Jet backplate. I have a Transpac, Jet Harness (complete) and a Hammerhead backplate with a Transplate harness and Jet wing. I think you would be alot happier just buying the Transplate harness and installing it on the Jet backplate with the travel wing. Contact wwwdiveriteexpress.com and order a Transplate harness and be done with it.

ranger:
I would rather stick a sharp stick in my eye that thread and rethread this harness back a forth
thats funny
thats why i have a seperate transpac for my doubles. but thats only because i had them avalable for a good deal

I just ordered a jet harness plate as well; should be here tomorrow! On the recommendation of Jeff (jet harness owner) I got the dive rite "deluxe" harness, which is about 1/2 the cost of the transplate harness. You might try that approach; it's only $55 and it will save you LOTS of trouble going back and forth.

BTW, did you just order the travel wing? I'm not sure if you know this, but the jet harness wing looks about identical and is less than 1/2 the cost of the travel wing at diverite express. ($119 vs $275)

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid I was asking a stupid question, but the shoulder straps did look identical. I like the sharp stick suggestion. Where can I buy one of those. :wink:
mattboy - I ordered the Travel wing in mid-March, when Jet Harness's owner was still on sabbatical. I'm kicking myself now for not waiting, but what can you do? Oh, well, it's just $60 difference. A two-tank dive day in some places. Sigh... How does the DR deluxe harness mount to the bp? Same way as the TransPlate?
Thanks again for your help, all. You've answered my question.

Ummmm, sumguy, don't want to make you feel worse, but it's $155, not $60. If it makes you feel better, think of it as a two tank dive and REALLY nice lunch....

I have the DR harness, waiting for the plate. The threading instructions with the harness don't look too great, let me tell you. I'm hoping when the plate arrives all will be clear. There are a few websites around with good photos and directions for threading the one piece harnesses, maybe they'll help as well.

mattboy:
Ummmm, sumguy, don't want to make you feel worse, but it's $155, not $60. If it makes you feel better, think of it as a two tank dive and REALLY nice lunch....

I have the DR harness, waiting for the plate. The threading instructions with the harness don't look too great, let me tell you. I'm hoping when the plate arrives all will be clear. There are a few websites around with good photos and directions for threading the one piece harnesses, maybe they'll help as well.

Nah, I got the Travel wing for $180 at Leisure Pro.
Still wish the Jet Harness wing had been available when I was buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom