Dive Rite Transpac II vs. Scuba Pro Knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my911

Reaction score
Help!!! I'm having a difficult time choosing between the Transpac II and the Knighthawk. They both fit me really well. The shop that carries Dive rite obviously pushes the Dive Rite and the other shops with Scuba Pro states that Scuba Pro is the best. Can people who own or have extensive knowledge of the two BCDs comment? I mainly do recreational diving. I understand that the Dive Rite is a technical BC, but why can't you dive recreational with a technical BC? I dive around California as well as in the tropics. Thanks in advance!!

my911:
I understand that the Dive Rite is a technical BC, but why can't you dive recreational with a technical BC?

You can definitely use a "technical" BC for recreational diving. In fact, many people use the Trans Pac (and other "technical" BCs) for recreactional diving.

Are there specific comparison points or issues that you're interested in with the BCs?

I am a rec diver and I dive the transpac with travel wing...great BC
packs light and tight,streamline in the water..I ditched the integrated pockets and use a weight belt... almost as basic as BP and wings..
Less is more

One main concern is the integrated weight system. How does it compare to the Knighthawk? And is the system good? Which air pack would you recommend for California diving?

I dive a transpac II here in ca, and use the standard 'rec' wing, though i might switch to the lower bouyancy vantage wing someday soon.

works really well, mostly i use the integrated weights, but sometimes a weight belt. the weight system seems good enough, prettu secure, easy enough to dump, and easy to adjust your weight.

it's great for rec diving. I use the Trec wing on it and I use a DUI weight harness, it's also great, have a look at it.

I have dove both and they are both well made and suitable for your type of diving (recreational). That said, the TPAC II gives you more choice with wing, I would go for a TPAC II and a Venture wing - its DR's version of the O wing that is great for singles. 2 things I didn't like about the KnightHawk 1) Small and awkward fold out pocket 2) Large bungied (in the back) wing. You can buy a pouch for the TPAC II to fit all your goodies provided you don't get a sport cumberbund. YMMV

Does the Transpac with the weight system push you forward when inflated more often than any other BC?

I currently dive with the Knighthawk. It suits my needs just fine, as I'm still a new diver. Although, I'm finding the limitations noted above, as neing minor annoyances. The configuration possibilities of the TransPac are making it a very strong contender, as my skills improve.

Larry

I have a Ladyhawk which I assume is close to the Knighthawk and the fold down packet is pretty useless, I think the only way I would use it is if I find something small along the way to want to stash.

I got a diverite mesh pouch and slipped it on the waist strap of the Ladyhawk, not ideal but good enough until I make something better.

Back
Top Bottom