Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice, I like the principles of DIR but I'm not a DIR purist, so my gear is a mix, some DIR, some not. Therefore I am not DIR. Nuff said.

I bought a traspac II about 2 years ago, I wanted a soft pack, but I also wanted flexibility, comfort and twin capability.

I now use the harness and rec wing on an aluminum backplate with STA. It is much more stable and secure than the soft transpac. Off come two wing nuts and the STA is removed for a pair of twins.
This does position a single tank farther back from your back, which does create a noticeable torque, when walking in and out of the water on shore entrees. However I've gotten used to it.
This is a very comfortable arrangement, and it works well.

I like the padded shoulders as well, I have a chronic separated right clavical (shoulder and collar bone). The padded shoulder straps help spread the load nicely. The sternum strap (also not DIR) makes it easier for me to get in and out of the harness. The true DIR harness is difficult for me to exit without dislocating my shoulder.

I'm sharing my experience with you to give you more information to make your own decisions. It is not my intent to sway you away from DIR. If your are so inclined go for it.

MikeD
:blfish:

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
The TPII requires a chest strap, a simple harness does not.

Not necessarily. Once I got all of my adjustments where I liked them on my TPII, I noticed that the chest strap was always loose while I was in the water, but tight on shore.

My conclusion was that it helped spread the weight of the tanks better while carrying them on shore, but did nothing when in a proper horizontal position in the water.

I took the chest strap off of mine many dives ago and there is no noticable difference by not having it IMO.

You mentioned...

'I now use the harness and rec wing on an aluminum backplate with STA'

Does this mean that you are using an additonal Aluminium BP as well as the BP already with the TP harness ?

The transpac doesn't have a backplate in it.
It's a soft pack, of sewn webing, with spine and kidney pads.
The tank forms the back bone of the pack.

It's light and travels and packs well and works great on single tanks, but is not stable with twin tanks. Diverite sell a couple of formed brackets that clamp the pack against a pair of twins. This is no where near a stable a true backplate.

I removed the shoulder and waist straps from the soft pack and assembled them to an aluminum backplate.

Mike D
:blfish:

Rice

The Transpac II is an excellent warm water BC, especially when paired with the Travel Wing. It is comfortable, streamlined, easy to adjust, packs small, does not require a crotch strap to work right, keeps the tank close to your back and is reliable. All the performance benefits of a BP, none of the negatives in the comfort and convenience area.

No, it is not DIR, but that does not have to be a consideration. The DIR people have appropriated the term "doing it right" like everything else is doing it wrong. They have a vocabulary designed to scare peopleinto their way of doing things: failure points, suicide clips, bungeed wings of death, strokes.

Walking on land with a backplate is hell. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. With thin or no exposure suits the continuous harnesson on a BP will make you sore in the underarm area. BP's are difficult to adjust as the shoulder straps must be adjusted out of water. This trial and error process can use up a week of boat diving. You really need to go to a shore location where it is possible to get in and out of the water several times. BP's do not work properly without a crotch strap. I personally found the five point harness to feel confining.

The BP is a poor choice for warm water recreational diving for these reasons. However, there is a group of divers in this forum who feel that the BP is the weapon of choice for all diving applications. It was invented for doubles, and that is what it does well. The ridge in the center is there to hide the wing nuts. That is why a single tank adaptor is needed and the single tank winds up two inches away from the divers back, hardly optimal.

Broken slide releases on BC's of any kind are extremely rare. I have never seen it happen. The only Velcro on a TP2 keeps the top end of the pads on the shoulder straps out of the way. If for some reason it separates, the shoulder strap will remain in place and can be adjusted underwater.

The chest strap is a non-issue sometimes I have forgotten to close it and I did not notice anything.

A lot of the participants in this forum are cave divers or other technical divers. That is a small minority of divers in the total world of diving. But this is the internet, not reality. If you are going to be diving warm water in a recreational setting there is no need to buy into their way of doing things. Next time in the tropics look around, if you see one backplate that is a lot. The guys around here won't stop preaching until the fish are wearing BP's.

try a bp for yourself.

I shore dive. It's no issue carrying the rig on land. I dive both cold and warm water. My bp works just as well in both situations.

DO NOT listen to me. Do NOT listen to anyone. Try one for yourself. Make your own decision. I can tell you how great I think a bp is. Leadweight can tell you how bad they are. I have not noticed any of the things that he insists are problems.

The vocabulary that he speaks of... failure points, bungied wings, suicide clips, are not just words. They are real world concerns. Do these situations occur all the time? No. Do they occur often? Probably not. BUT, can they occur? Yes. So, if they can occur, why take that chance, remote as it may be? If something adds no benefit, then I see no reason to incorporate it into a rig. Others apparently don't care. Make your own decision.

leadweight once bubbled...
Rice

The Transpac II is an excellent warm water BC, especially when paired with the Travel Wing. It is comfortable, streamlined, easy to adjust, packs small, does not require a crotch strap to work right, keeps the tank close to your back and is reliable. All the performance benefits of a BP, none of the negatives in the comfort and convenience area.

Walking on land with a backplate is hell. Don't let anyone tell you anything different. With thin or no exposure suits the continuous harnesson on a BP will make you sore in the underarm area. BP's are difficult to adjust as the shoulder straps must be adjusted out of water. This trial and error process can use up a week of boat diving. You really need to go to a shore location where it is possible to get in and out of the water several times. BP's do not work properly without a crotch strap. I personally found the five point harness to feel confining.

The BP is a poor choice for warm water recreational diving for these reasons. However, there is a group of divers in this forum who feel that the BP is the weapon of choice for all diving applications. It was invented for doubles, and that is what it does well. The ridge in the center is there to hide the wing nuts. That is why a single tank adaptor is needed and the single tank winds up two inches away from the divers back, hardly optimal.

A lot of the participants in this forum are cave divers or other technical divers. That is a small minority of divers in the total world of diving. But this is the internet, not reality. If you are going to be diving warm water in a recreational setting there is no need to buy into their way of doing things. Next time in the tropics look around, if you see one backplate that is a lot. The guys around here won't stop preaching until the fish are wearing BP's.

I respectfully disagree with some of the statements.

As a preliminary matter, the TPII seems to be an excellent BC. You could make far worse choices.

That said, I believe that a BP&W is a better choice. As Rax said, terms like failure point, streamlining, etc... are real and have an effect upon your diving. Whether the effect is great enough to influence your choice is for you to decide.

When you're in the Carribean looking at the other divers, check out how many of them can't dive at all. Are these really the people you want to emulate?

I shore dive regularly, particularly when I'm assisting at OW classes. I am in and out of the water several times with each class and on each dive. I dont' have any problems walking to and from the water while wearing a BP. Note that I need to walk up a ramp or a hill and across a parking lot.

If the BP pinches, chaffs or is otherwise uncomfortable, then the BP is probably not adjusted correctly.

It is inconceivable that it could take a week to adjust the BP properly. I spent Saturday afternoon helping to outfit a diver with his BP&W. Everything, including assembling the thing from scratch, configuring regulators, explaining how some of his new toys work and pausing to watch the football games, took about 4 hours. We could have gone faster if we had needed to.

My single tank is right up against the plate. No STA is needed. It takes a little bit of care to hang the tank, but no more than a typical BC. It quickly becomes second nature.

Similarly, the crotch strap is neither uncomfortable nor difficult to use.

Overall, the BP&W is a great choice for all around diving. I've used mine for all types of diving and have been impressed.

Finally, I believe that a typical BP will be less expensive than a BC. This was not a factor in my decision to use one, but it was nice.

The best advice I've seen is from the people who have told you to try the equipment out before you buy.

I just got back from 9 days of shore diving in Bonaire with a BP/Wing and...

It worked great for me... But I've never found it uncomfortable. IMO, its stability make it somewhat easier to wander about with on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom