Dive Shop Ownership- Good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
I'm with you on that one Bob. The key to success in this market is figuring out a way to 1) compete with the Walmarts, whether they be brick and mortar or online, and 2) finding a customer base and serving them. The shops that folded in the past couple years weren't able to address these issues (one or both).
Richard, the four shops that folded all did so for very different reasons ... although in part you are right.

ScubaSet was saddled with high overhead ... the place was a palace, and the pool was expensive to maintain. Furthermore, one of the principal owners wasn't a diver, and the shop was nothing but an investment opportunity for him. When he decided to pull out, he left the other owners holding a bag they couldn't afford.

Deep Fathom was a small, successful mom and pop shop. They had what most stores dream about ... a location with easy access to the most popular dive site in Puget Sound. Unfortunately, when their lease expired the people who owned the place wanted the building for something else. The owners were an older couple who were ready to retire ... they just decided they weren't up for starting over again somewhere else.

Poseidon was only partly a dive shop, and for a number of reasons never caught on with the dive community. The owner wasn't a diver, the shop didn't offer much of a selection, and it was well off the beaten path. About the only reason to go there was to get fills for diving Three Tree .. and Three Tree just won't draw enough divers to support a dive shop. Burien might be able to support a dive shop, but it would require a much more aggressive marketing strategy.

Starfish was an established business, run by a guy with some of the best diving credentials in the area. He had something of a loyal following ... but not enough to support a business in that location. He failed for the same reason his predecessor did ... the place was just too hard for most people to get to, and you had to drive past larger, high-volume dive shops to get there. FWIW - he still teaches, and runs perhaps the best fill station in Puget Sound out of his garage ... he just decided he didn't need a brick and mortar shop anymore.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, I agree. Although, I never knew that Deep Fathom lost their lease and that precipitated their closing. They seemed to rely on air fills and that's a tough way to make a living. They had an ideal location, but never seemed to have a clientel for gear.

Don't they still have a shop in Port Townsend? I haven't been over there in a couple years.

To have a "Dive Shop" is one thing but what other products could keep you going. In our area Scuba is pretty much seasonal, hard core in the summer and tapered at both ends.

Would a good sporting goods store that also supported diving be a way to go? As sales for diving decreased in the off season you pick up the slack with other sports.

What about a dive shop/boat repair..... One guy has a dive/fishing bait and tackle shop......still seasonal I guess.....hmmmm

What I understand from the discussion on this board that competition is tight so you need to specialize in something. It depends upon the locality.

1. Concentrate of First Class training both recreational and tech if possible

2. Don't sell gear as too many people are already doing it. If you want to maybe only high end products like which are regularly mentioned in dive magazines like Appolo Bio Fins etc. Keep restricted to only the best . Delearship is too expensive and too much headache, so make a deal to buy from a supplier at trade rate.

3. Generate fantastic customer service so that they would stick to your shop.

4. Maybe start a small cafe for your customers.
Try some unique ideas which others might not have done.

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom