dive site emergency plan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I think my upcoming Bonaire trip is my fourth or maybe fifth, and I have gotten the idea to get serious about being able to call for help from a dive site or other remote location. After all, the Rescue Diver course and probably any other dive safety course stresses that a diver should have an emergency plan in place that includes how to contact EMS. The problem on Bonaire, of course, is that many of us are reluctant to leave a phone (not to mention a first aid kit) in the truck unattended. So that I can now take my phone with me during a dive, I acquired a fully waterproof case, designed for holding a PLB. A few questions:

1. How is the coverage on the island? Digicel's website has a coverage map that is not all that encouraging for my purposes: Coverage Map - Coverage Map. Can anyone who has experimented with checking out the coverage from remote sites tell me what they found? I'm serious enough about this to bring a cell phone, but not serious enough to bring a satellite phone.

2. I have an unlocked GSM phone I have bought foreign SIM cards for on trips elsewhere in the world, and that worked great, but I have read that buying a local SIM card on Bonaire can be a bit of a hassle, as you need to buy them at the Digicel office. True? What's the thinking on the best way for a visitor to make local calls? I suppose I could just pay the roaming charge from my US provider (AT&T) in the event I need to make a local call. I care less about the roaming charge--I mean, this is mostly for emergencies--than I do about ensuring the call goes through without a hiccup. However, I wouldn't mind having a phone with me for non-emergencies, such as to keep in contact with others in our group who have US phones/numbers. I have bought AT&T's 30-day international roaming "Passport" package for some trips to European countries, and that worked fine. Bonaire is listed on the AT&T website as an included country, but I would be comforted if someone were to say they have used it and it works. Maybe that's the simplest solution. What do you from the US who routinely bring your phones to Bonaire do?

3. What number(s) should I be prepared to call in the event help is needed? I found this information but don't know if it's up to date:

Bonaire Hospital:
Hospitaal San Francisco (Kaya Soeur Bartola #2, Kralendijk). The hospital has 60 beds. You will need to provide your own blankets, pillows, and sleepwear. Keep in mind, this hospital is not like large hospitals in the U.S.
Phone: +599 717 8900
Fax: +599 717 7990

Bonaire Recompression Chamber:
The hyperbaric recompression chamber is located adjacent to the hospital; admittance is through the emergency room at the hospital. Do not go directly to the Chamber in a dive emergency; go to the hospital emergency room.

Bonaire Ambulance Emergency Number:
The emergency phone number for the ambulance is 114.

Bonaire Police Emergency Numbers:
Call 911 first. This number is manned by one person, so if no one answers, call 717-8000.

STINAPA and Bonaire Marine Park:
To report vandalism on the reef, or marine park violations, please call 717-8444.

I might add DAN to that list of numbers to have programmed in the phone. And the truck rental company!

Has anyone tried dialing "411" for an ambulance? I'm almost surprised Bonaire doesn't have a hotline specifically for divers out at the sites.

4. Anything else to consider? I suppose a real emergency plan would also involve taking a first aid kit and that sort of thing. I have to believe essentially nobody does that, due to the theft risk. <sigh>

I keep a Nautilus Lifeline on my BC and hopefully will never have to use the marine band emergency channel.
Seemed like a better idea then trying to keep a phone dry, especially with potentially spotty digital service.
I have had to radio back to the boat once on Cayman when a drift dive went bad.

Thanks for the emerg numbers and for starting this post. I had never really thought this issue through and have certainly dived at some isolated sites on Bonaire.

I keep a Nautilus Lifeline on my BC and hopefully will never have to use the marine band emergency channel.
Seemed like a better idea then trying to keep a phone dry, especially with potentially spotty digital service. . . .

Nautilus Lifeline is a great tool in environments in which there are boats nearby, but that's not really Bonaire.

A PLB, as discussed in other threads, is a great tool in environments in which there is some reasonable likelihood of a diver finding himself floating around out at sea. But that's not very Bonaire, either.

No, I'm thinking a plain old cell phone, for use on shore, is a good tool for Bonaire. I just want to make sure it works as expected!

A PLB, as discussed in other threads, is a great tool in environments in which there is some reasonable likelihood of a diver finding himself floating around out at sea.

I think PLB's are used by people in wilderness areas, so my guess would be that they would work on Bonaire. If anyone has facts to the contrary, my ears are open.

I think PLB's are used by people in wilderness areas, so my guess would be that they would work on Bonaire. If anyone has facts to the contrary, my ears are open.

I didn't mean to imply I do not think a PLB would work on Bonaire. Of course it would "work." But when a PLB is activated, it could take quite some time before help arrives, and you don't get to speak with the dispatcher. On Bonaire, the most likely scenario is not that one is floating out at sea or lost in the wilderness but rather that there is someone on shore who needs medical attention. Or the truck has broken down, and you need to call for help. Or something along those lines. I think the simplest tool for the most likely scenarios is a cell phone.

Not a lot of replies yet. Am I the only one who cares about being able to call for help from the dive sites? Does everyone else just leave their phone back in the hotel room when they're out diving (which is what I have been doing on previous trips)?

I think you are on the right track with the cell phone and the water tight case. This tech will only get cheaper and better as time goes on. My experience is it's another risk/reward scenario common to diving. The more remote the site the more risk there is not only calling for help, but receiving it in a timely manner. The closer in sites (Windsock to Oil Slick for example) are within business/home landline or local traffic cell phone access. On our last trip we did run across someone stopping traffic looking for a cell phone (truck problem) on the southern dive site road (somewhere around Invisibles). There were several other trucks there so I'm guessing no one had a cell (we didn't have one either). On the upside there was a police car behind us and they helped out. In fact we did notice an increased police presence at dive sites. We were the only divers at Ol' Blue one day and a police car stopped to check on us. They warned us of a crew breaking into the trucks on the northern sites. Maybe an increased police presence slightly mitigates the risk (just another factor, not something I would count on in a big way). Not sure it outweighs the reason they were there. Maybe the truck break-in problem has a silver lining. :)

Last edited:
I suppose I could just pay the roaming charge from my US provider (AT&T) in the event I need to make a local call. I care less about the roaming charge--I mean, this is mostly for emergencies--than I do about ensuring the call goes through without a hiccup. However, I wouldn't mind having a phone with me for non-emergencies, such as to keep in contact with others in our group who have US phones/numbers. I have bought AT&T's 30-day international roaming "Passport" package for some trips to European countries, and that worked fine. Bonaire is listed on the AT&T website as an included country, but I would be comforted if someone were to say they have used it and it works. Maybe that's the simplest solution. What do you from the US who routinely bring your phones to Bonaire do?

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but I am very interested in this. We are leaving Saturday for our first trip and I considered the AT&T Passport plan but am hesitating as I don't know how good the coverage is.

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but I am very interested in this. We are leaving Saturday for our first trip and I considered the AT&T Passport plan but am hesitating as I don't know how good the coverage is.

Not a hijack as far as I'm concerned. Since my trip is still a month away, why don't you get the Passport plan (it's like $30, right?) and let me know if it worked well for you. :wink: Seriously, if it's Digicel's GSM network that an AT&T phone would roam on, that coverage map I linked to in the original post looks pretty thin at the more remote parts of the island. Also, the chart describing Passport-included countries on AT&T's web site seems to indicate that while Bonaire is included, LTE (4G) is not available. I don't really care about fast data capability, as I would be satisfied just to have voice.

Seriously, if it's Digicel's GSM network that an AT&T phone would roam on
I don't see how you could conclude anything else.

Capture.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom