Dive slate materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try these people. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and like them for their prices and service.
They have Acrylic sheets in different colors. It's easy to cut with a band say and shape on a sander. It can be machined like Aluminum if you cut slow.

Try these people. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and like them for their prices and service.
They have Acrylic sheets in different colors. It's easy to cut with a band say and shape on a sander. It can be machined like Aluminum if you cut slow.
Good idea- they have great prices, I'll bookmark them for the future. With the tiny piece needed for this project, I'll prolly drop by my local plastics store instead, to skip the shipping cost.
I have the idea that acrylic might be more prone to scratches, and maybe breakage(?), but it should have good UV stability. Can I cut it with a table saw? I might also give Sintra a try- looks like it's heat moldable, very light, and cuttable with hand tools.
If i make it wrist mountable, bouyancy won't matter much. Definitely not practical for a BCD attached slate to float.

For a slate, I think I'd use 3/16 thickness. Or, maybe use several thin sheets glued together? A clear on top of a fluorescent yellow on top of a ?
Yes, you can cut it with a table saw but use the finest blade available and go slow. A 12" x 36" sheet of 3/16 was 12 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom