Dive Stories From Back In The Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you do this off Broward County? We used to do this along sections of beach in Hallandale and Pompano with John when we were in high school in the early 1970's. Lots of walking (5 miles + a night) and slogging excavated nests around in trash cans before he got his first 4x4 truck!

Yeah, we used to walk from Lauderdale By The Sea as far north as Hillsboro Inlet at times. This was probably mid to late 70's if I recall.

Did you used to do this with Denis?

Don't know Denis, my friends name is Steve that I used to do the turtle stuff with. We were pretty young at the time. We would get up in the morning and find nests that had obviously hatched, dig out the turtles that didn't make it out and release them into the ocean. (yeah, I know it was illegal but we were helping more than harming) John caught my buddy Steve in the act if my memory serves me and after realizing he was pretty gifted at finding the nests gave him the tagging equipment and endorsed our activities.

Great read! Thanks to all for sharing their stories.

For a California farm land raised country boy, you all were living my dreams.:cool2: I lived it through Flipper, Seahunt and every coustou film ever made. I need to get down to South Florida to do some diving soon.............:D

John was fairly practical and the early preservation efforts seemed to be fairly successful. Street lighting was a problem which took many years after to resolve through state law.

You're welcome Randy! There is a lot of great diving history out of California too. Those are some nippy waters to take on in a bathing suit for an extended period of time.

Rick, the lighting issues are still not resolved. There are many Broward beaches that still host massive hatchling disorientation due to lighting.

Here's a trivia test. Who remembers when Capt. Bob Klein had the dive shop at the Holiday Inn MM100 Key Largo and the 50' Cary, Plus Ultra, that he ran Cay Sal trips on?
Debby I went on a Cay Sal trip on the Plus Ultra with Bob Klein in the summer of 1980 and what a blast. Bob had the good numbers for sure. The blue hole, four wrecks, the wall, grouper and lobster everywhere we went.
Cheers
Here's a trivia test. Who remembers when Capt. Bob Klein had the dive shop at the Holiday Inn MM100 Key Largo and the 50' Cary, Plus Ultra, that he ran Cay Sal trips on?

Cheers

Does anybody remember the name of the dive operation in Key Largo that provided free lodging if you dove with them? A buddy and I went there in ~1980 for Spring Break and had a great time diving Pennekamp. Pretty sure it’s long gone.

OK Here we go-Steve Klem 6 pack in the water guide, big following. Carl Gage diving for the masses. Bobby Klein, high end charters Ocean Reef Club and pt treasure hunter. Jerry Greenberg, uw photographer with countless Key Largo publications. The Golden Age for sure..

Does anybody remember the name of the dive operation in Key Largo that provided free lodging if you dove with them? A buddy and I went there in ~1980 for Spring Break and had a great time diving Pennekamp. Pretty sure it’s long gone.
Likely Key Largo Diving Headquarters. Now, Quiescence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom