Dive & Surf Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seawalker

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Kayak that I could use mainly to dive and surf in. Doesn't have to be the greatest wave shredder out there, but something that I could have fun with on those days where the visibility is awful due to east winds and crazy waves :14: I heard the shorter ones are great for manuverability, but I'm hoping to find something that could also hold a steel 100. Any input appreciated.

Looks kinda small to me.

I have both a dive kayak and a surf kayak.

I suggest not compromising your dive kayak for an occasional surfing. Get what you need for diving and then if you can surf in it, that's great too.

I use an Ocean Kayak Drifter which I choose for stability. Lots of room on board but you will sacrifice speed for stablity.

You might be able to use the Scrambler XL or Scrambler. The Caper might be suitable if you plan diving a single 65 maybe. You actually need two kayaks, one for diving and one for surf play. I recommend now the Prowler 13 for diving. I ain't no kayak expet, I have dived from them with success and also sunk them with success!! Surfing my Scupper Pro TW is fun in good conditions but it is not a surf play kayak, it is long and narrow and will pitch pole in steep surf--trying to surf steep waves. This resulted in myn head whacking the bottom and plowing up a nice furrow. I walked it off. N

Ouch! Hope you were wearing a helmet (preferably dark :D )

I should've mentioned that I'd be diving out of Ft.Lauderdale, FL. The waves here aren't really steep. Just enough to kind of cruise along and have a good time. Maybe this makes the desicion on which kayak to buy alittle easier.

So what is the procedure ...yak to dive site with gear , dive site for vis , abort and then surf the waves with the yak loaded with full gear??? Course I live in San Diego and the surf is a little more brutal at times than FL... Sounds like a recipe for buying new gear or diving in poor vis to retrieve it ...but you would have to yak back to shore and get new gear to retrieve the lost gear ...hmmm then again would be a great excuse for upgrading some of my older stuff. Ahhh what will we think of next ...mountain biking underwater ....ohh yea they are doing that ..never mind

just wondering.

No. I do not plan on surfing a kayak loaded with diving gear.
:no

i love my ocean kayak drifter
I can fit an aluminum 80 (fins, mask, camera, etc), in the front hatch and an assembled tank and bc in the back well
12 feet long and 36 inches wide

The cobra explorer is too small IMHO, I have a couple of them. I also have 6 of the Fish n' Dive, and find they work very well in 3 - 4' incoming surf. I have also had up to 3 steel HP 100's on the kayak, but wouldn't recommend this for heavy surface, the boat just doesn't respond, it's too big.

Hope this helps, feel free to email me if you have questions about the Cobra Kayaks.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom