Dive Tables vs. Computer Algos - repetitive rec dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I did read and understand his post, as well as yours, but I did have it dead-set in my mind that there had been alterations. I'm unable to locate my actual PADI tables from the year when Bananarama's Venus was #1 but I'm fairly* certain this is them courtesy of the internet: (and just to be clear, when I said PADI tables in my earlier comment, I meant PADI produced/branded ones - irrespective of their source)

View attachment 452837

[*meaning no flames]
Very early on, pre-DSAT and the RDP, PADI publishe'd some tables with their name on them but with the (now old) Navy numbers. So, yes, "their" tables have indeed changed.

Very early on, pre-DSAT and the RDP, PADI publishe'd some tables with their name on them but with the (now old) Navy numbers. So, yes, "their" tables have indeed changed.
Yes--that is true. Their original tables were really just the Navy tables. They had no research in the game at that point. Once they made their own tables, nothing has changed.

Yes, I did read and understand his post, as well as yours, but I did have it dead-set in my mind that there had been alterations. I'm unable to locate my actual PADI tables from the year when Bananarama's Venus was #1 but I'm fairly* certain this is them courtesy of the internet: (and just to be clear, when I said PADI tables in my earlier comment, I meant PADI produced/branded ones - irrespective of their source)

View attachment 452837

[*meaning no flames]

I learned to dive in 1984 and made about the first 600 dives on tables. I could dream them at one point and yes, this is the table we used back then. There *have* been minor alterations through they years, notably to the no-fly times. IIRC my original instructor said that he initially learned that he needed to be a D diver (that may have been on the Navy tables) in order to fly. PADI had a 24 rule for a long time and changed it to a bunch of if-then-else rules with different times that I still can't remember. I still do 24 hours because I can remember that.

NDL's have changed too. At some point there was concern about long repetitive shallow dives (something a recreational diver would do) and the NDL's at the shallow end of the table were changed significantly based on research done by PADI/DSAT in the mid-1980s. The other NDL's were adjusted as well but not significantly. The current table is a little more conservative than the one we had in 1984 across the board.

R..

Yes--that is true. Their original tables were really just the Navy tables. They had no research in the game at that point. Once they made their own tables, nothing has changed.

This is also true. The DSAT tables were published following research that was done in 1987 IIRC.

The question however was about "PADI" tables. If it's got a PADI stamp on it then it's a PADI table regardless of the source. I think John was responding to the question in the knowledge that earlier PADI tables were not developed by PADI.

R..

PADI had a 24 rule for a long time and changed it to a bunch of if-then-else rules with different times that I still can't remember. I still do 24 hours because I can remember that.

My computer has 24 after a deco stop where PADI says "more than 18 recommended". I guess that makes it conservative, too.

My computer has 24 after a deco stop where PADI says "more than 18 recommended". I guess that makes it conservative, too.
DAN America has the same 12-18 hour no flying rules as PADI. DAN Europe says 24 hours.

:rofl3: It is Italian so I guess that explains that. Must be round-up error when going from standard hours to metric ones.

Does anyone know when PADI adopted the 12-18-24 hours before flying? I do remember DAN America asking for volunteers, back around 2002, for flying after diving testing which reaffirmed, for lack of better terminology, the 12-18-24 time frames. I have an old PADI Dive Table, posted above, that indicates the diver needs to be in the pg D before flying.

Does anyone know when PADI adopted the 12-18-24 hours before flying? I do remember DAN America asking for volunteers, back around 2002, for flying after diving testing which reaffirmed, for lack of better terminology, the 12-18-24 time frames. I have an old PADI Dive Table, posted above, that indicates the diver needs to be in the pg D before flying.

I don't know, but here's some related info in case you haven't seen that thread: DAN Flying and Diving Study published which to me means no one really knows. Just depends which "group" you might fall into (and good luck figuring out the grouping physical attributes aside).

I don't know, but here's some related info in case you haven't seen that thread: DAN Flying and Diving Study published which to me means no one really knows. Just depends which "group" you might fall into (and good luck figuring out the grouping physical attributes aside).
There is an unfortunate tendency in many of these threads to assert that unless something is known with absolute certainty, then nothing is known, "no one really knows," "it's a crap shoot," etc. Corollary One is that nothing is known with absolute certainty, therefore there are no definite rules or even best practices to follow, so I can do anything I want and nobody can tell me otherwise. Corollary Two is it all just opinions, and my (uninformed) opinion is better than your (uninformed) opinion. Grump grump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom