Dive Tables vs. Computer Algos - repetitive rec dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an unfortunate tendency in many of these threads to assert that unless something is known with absolute certainty, then nothing is known, "no one really knows," "it's a crap shoot," etc. Corollary One is that nothing is known with absolute certainty, therefore there are no definite rules or even best practices to follow, so I can do anything I want and nobody can tell me otherwise. Corollary Two is it all just opinions, and my (uninformed) opinion is better than your (uninformed) opinion. Grump grump.

Seems like some grump in my direction ... I'll return serve in good spirit, but wished I didn't need to; certainly (me) saying "no one really knows", when referencing an article about specific time periods and groups (surely you read it before lobbing grump at me), is not the same as saying "nothing is known". You can't try to disassociate the article from my comment to justify your comment. And those corollaries, about such an important topic ... hmmm.

There is an unfortunate tendency in many of these threads to assert that unless something is known with absolute certainty, then nothing is known, "no one really knows," "it's a crap shoot," etc. Corollary One is that nothing is known with absolute certainty, therefore there are no definite rules or even best practices to follow, so I can do anything I want and nobody can tell me otherwise. Corollary Two is it all just opinions, and my (uninformed) opinion is better than your (uninformed) opinion. Grump grump.

+1 This goes soooo far beyond this thread, SB, or diving. Take a bow... :acclaim:

For those interested in pursuing this more, Tursiops is giving a quick summary of the appeal to ignorance. It is one of the most common fallacies you see in arguments. Its most common usage involves two forms, with both forms often being used by the same person in the same argument.
  1. You cannot prove your position with 100% certainty (99% is not enough), so you are wrong.
  2. You cannot disprove my position with 100% certainty (99% is not enough), so I am right.
For those looking for 100% certainty on anything, if you had taken a logic course from me, you would have learned that you cannot prove your own existence with 100% certainty, and it isn't even close to 99%.

Another form is simply using your own ignorance on a topic to assume everyone else has the same ignorance. "i don't know how they can date the age of the rocks in the ground, so therefore they can't."

Last edited:
For those looking for 100% certainty on anything, if you had taken a logic course from me, you would have learned that you cannot prove your own existence with 100% certainty, and it isn't even close to 99%.

What are you talking about, my mind it the only thing that is sure to exist. It's the rest of y'all that's a figment of my imagination.

my mind it the only thing that is sure to exist.
What is your mind composed of? Your thoughts, whatever they may be, might exist, but what is the composition of your thoughts? (BTW, I know you were kidding.)

They are composed of a raging torrent of creative alternatives cascading into a waterfall of off-topic postings... But it's April the 2nd already.

From the PADI OW book, 1990:

For a single dive of less than one hour and within the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of four hours before flying.
For a single dive of more than one hour and within the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of twelve hours before flying.
For any dive which goes beyond the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of twenty four hours before flying.
For repetitive dives a twenty four hour wait is recommended before flying after diving.

Reactions: Jay
They are composed of a raging torrent of creative alternatives cascading into a waterfall of off-topic postings... But it's April the 2nd already.

DITTO!

From the PADI OW book, 1990:

For a single dive of less than one hour and within the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of four hours before flying.
For a single dive of more than one hour and within the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of twelve hours before flying.
For any dive which goes beyond the NDL a diver is to wait a minimum of twenty four hours before flying.
For repetitive dives a twenty four hour wait is recommended before flying after diving.
Why have you posted this old, outdated info?

Back
Top Bottom