Dive Trip - "I should have brought..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just taking one last look at my favorite forum only HOURS before flying to Maui...how appropriate this thread is happening now! My flight is tomorrow at 7:00 a.m.

Actually, I learned what not to take when going to Hawaii. My first trip I took 3 pairs of long pants!!! I have NONE packed now. There is no place for black socks there, either.:wink:

I was in two weddings on Maui...same guy; different girls...and will NEVER put on a tux there again...no matter whose wedding it is.

I am taking a shorty (for shore dives) and a 3 mil full for the Molokini trips. I have my own reg, computer, fins, mask and plan to introduce my Nikon D70's and Iklite housing to tropical waters. Two bathing suits and a couple of t-shirts.

Odds and ends: Small repair kit, spare batteries (camera & computer), insect repellant...Maui mosquitos are bad news..., spare mask, computer (notebook) and a credit card.

Its not like Maui is Bora Bora...anything I need I can get there...for a price.

Aloha to all....

Yeah---forgetting mfs was NOT a good idea. People tried to loan me extra stuff but I'm blind without my prescription lenses.
So they held up the class for me (it was open water dives day) while I took an hour and a half roundtrip to go get them. Also picked up some stuff while I was at the gym for the instructor, but that was only because I needed to get my stuff too.

Bring insect repellent AND a can of Raid for any critters in the hotel room. Are your fins full foot or open back? If they're open back, remember to bring your booties. Ya got a hat so your dome doesn't get sunburned? The ride out to Molokini can get chilly in the morning, do you have a light jacket?

I always bring a lycra beanie with a little brim on it and keep it in a pocket of my BC. I put it on when I'm on the surface waiting for the boat and it sure helps keep the sun off when I have to wait for the boat if they are picking up the group away from where I am which can take a while.

Attached is my "to pack" list. I should mention that this is for both my wife and I so the reference to skirts and blouses are for her :D ; also we use this list for whether we're flying someplace or driving it ourselves, hence it should lead you to not necessarily take everything on the list - we usually take only about half the list stuff, but it helps to go over the items and evaluate whether we'd need them on "this trip" or not.

I'd say the best lesson I've learnt from my dad when travelling anywhere is to take a spare roll of toilet paper. If you're going someplace swanky then this is usually not a concern, but if it's out in the boonies, I'd think about it twice. :coffee:

I agree Catherine96821, always wish I had more money and more time.

Patti

For every diver I have ever seen, the answer is definitely: LESS.

All...a quick note of thanks for your time and responses.

As I suspected - Less is definitely best!

Back
Top Bottom