Question Dive trips to look for artifacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShawanoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anyone that does this or would be interested in this?

Like traveling somewhere but instead of looking at pretty corals and tropical fish its almost solely to look for old bottles and other old things. Nobody in my area is interested in this besides in local diving.

One, you need to look up the laws of where you want to look for these artifacts. You may not be able to disturb them, and if you’re planning on taking them home with you, that might even be highly illegal.

One, you need to look up the laws of where you want to look for these artifacts. You may not be able to disturb them, and if you’re planning on taking them home with you, that might even be highly illegal.
And even if in theory you are allowed to remove them, don't, leave a nation's cultural heritage where it belongs, with them. Not flown 1000s of kms away and out of context.

I believe that your nearest concentration of divers is in Green Bay- maybe hook up with a dive shop to ask?

Many years ago, i dove under Big Smoky on your nearby Wolf River looking for evidence for Joe White. He was the Tribal Police, so maybe that’s all the permission i needed? Found a bunch of not much. Seemed like a prime location for cast off items.

Not far West of you is a rather closely guarded cave dive, entrance is hidden behind a 2’ waterfall. The keepers of that secret home near Madison, if you make nice with local dive shops, maybe- just maybe…

You live amongst some hearty treasure seeking divers.

There is a Florida young guy that does YouTube videos and has productions on The Weather Channel, maybe drop him an email? Seems to be doing exactly what you describe …

Brandon Jordan: THE WEATHER CHANNEL TELEVISION NETWORK PREMIERES NEW EXPLORATION SERIES 'SEARCH PARTY WITH BRANDON JORDAN'

I believe that your nearest concentration of divers is in Green Bay- maybe hook up with a dive shop to ask?

Many years ago, i dove under Big Smoky on your Wolf River looking for evidence for Joe White. He was the Tribal Police, so maybe that’s all the permission i needed? Found a bunch of not much. Seemed like a prime location for cast off items.

Not far West of you is a rather closely guarded cave dive, entrance is hidden behind a 2’ waterfall. The keepers of that secret home near Madison, if you make nice with local dive shops, maybe- just maybe…

You live amongst some hearty treasure seeking divers.

There is a Florida young guy that does YouTube videos and has productions on The Weather Channel, maybe drop him an email? Seems to be doing exactly what you descrobe…

Brandon Jordan: THE WEATHER CHANNEL TELEVISION NETWORK PREMIERES NEW EXPLORATION SERIES 'SEARCH PARTY WITH BRANDON JORDAN'
For that cave, are you referring to the claustrophobic viral video on YT about no-mount diving? I have friends who regularly dive that cave. OP doesn’t appear to be cave certified. Suggesting that cave as a dive for someone you don‘t know is cave certified is irresponsible. It’s not a cave for everyone who IS full cave certified. The first restriction is very tight. I’m full cave and I refuse to dive it. My friends who dive it fully admit it’s not for everyone.

@Marie13 yup, it aint for everyone, note that in your log book.

Re-read what i wrote. I stated that he make social inquiries and establish connections if that was something he wanted. The keys to that castle are not handed out willy-nilly.

I could drive you into the field right up to the entrance, but i would never cite a web source for this. I have dove several caves in Wisconsin- back before the cave diving “rules” were written into a c-card.

Like Harry Callahan said, “gotta know your limitations”.

Down South in Wisconsin is Lake Geneva. A lot of garbage piles at the end of the piers that lay out front of the estates of the uber wealthy, circa 1890-1950. They don’t care if you take “garbage”.

And why did you even bring it up? It doesn’t fit what he was asking about diving for artifacts. Seems the most you would find there is tangled up cave line the muskrats have stolen.

The bulk, 90% of my response was exactly on point. Concentrating on that anomaly is contentious. You should more forcefully advise and share that with your friends, id est….

This was in a time before Inspector Callahan would have quite naturally included females in his statement, although he would not have first sought a scientific definition.
Seems the most you would find there is tangled up cave line the muskrats have stolen
But you will never know.

I was in St. Eustatius a couple of months ago. The island has a rich maritime history in the slave trade and there are a lot of wreck and artifact dives. But it's strictly no touch, no take. All dives required a guide.

I posted a trip report on it with some pics of artifacts. Since the hurricanes of 2017, new things have surfaced and others were buried forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom