dive watch/computer - help a girl decide!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cam24

New
Reaction score
# of dives
i'm trying to find the perfect dive watch and/or computer for my boyfriend and for the life of me cannot decide on the following three:

1. Citizen Hyper Aqualand Promaster

2. Citizen Aqualand NX

3. Citizen Eco-Drive 20th Anniversary Aqualand

I really love the computer functions of the first two but I can't get over how good the third one looks. HELP!!! :)

Get the 3rd one. Looks good and never need to open it up to change batteries therefore there's less reason for it to ever flood.

It's a life support device. Get him involved.

It's sort of hard for anyone to tell you what to get, because we don't know anything about his diving or wants/needs. Has he been hinting for something? What has he said? Can you tell us anything about where he dives, how many dives he's done, anything else?

Before picking out a specific model, you really need to answer the question you didn't know you asked - "dive watch or computer?" There's a big difference between a dive watch that is mostly a waterproof watch with perhaps some diving features like depth and bottom time, and one that is a real dive computer that tracks decompression status. And if the concern is getting something functional for him it can't be picked out on looks first. (Unless that's the most important function you're looking for. :wink:) I'd say on average, the more features a dive watch/computer has, the less nice it will look.

What is making you look at the Citizen watches? (I'm not sure the Promaster is an actual dive computer either, it appears to have logging and be able to upload logs to your computer but those "computer features" don't make it a dive computer. It appears the NX is an actual dive computer. So you've actually listed 3 very different beasts.) There are many brands and models of dive computers out there. Some are watch style models and some are larger though still commonly worn on the wrist. They're not mainstream brands you've heard of like Citizen but well known to most divers. There are some tradeoffs between the watch style and the bigger models. The watch size can be harder to read, as there's alot of information to fit on the screen. And they tend to cost much more than the larger models for the same features. You can generally buy a nice regular watch and a good dedicated dive computer for less money total than a fancy watch style dive computer and they'll probably each be better at what they do.

So what I'm kind of thinking is, while a shiny "dive watch" may seem like the nicest thing to wrap up as a gift and alot more fun than a gift certificate, and even better if it has "computer features", it might not be what he really wants or needs. As a diver if he doesn't have a dive computer and wants one - well while I'm sure he will always appreciate a nice watch from you, it may not be what he really wants or needs for diving.

Please be aware that at least on the Hyper-Aqualand the software does not work with a 64-bit operating system and per Citizen Support, they have no plans to develop software to run in a 64-bit environment. My husband now has a dive watch that will not work with our current computer running Vista.

I'm guessing the same is probably true for their other models, but be sure to check before you spend the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom