New dive watch - computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what I remember SB is a diving related forum. I have no interets in politics neither do I work for Huawei Marketing.
Huawei has been caught in the crosshairs of global "geopolitics". That reputation suits the various players (dogs) in that fight and the big-tech companies who're all fighting over a multitude of issues. This is a lot to do with their reputation undercutting other competitors in certain markets to buy market share.

My issues are privacy -- which is why I don't do facebook, google, et al -- and diving reliability. I am bought into the Apple ecosystem, but haven't an Apple watch. The tracking possibilities of a watch device -- with microphone, biometrics, wireless, bluetooth, cellular data, etc. -- is extraordinary. None of those devices would be allowed into sensitive areas. The code needs to be trusted to have not been doctored for nefarious acts.

For diving it's Shearwater as it is top quality reliable kit with a proven track record. My life depends upon it. No new entrant would be trusted by me for technical diving.

I agree with you on the Shearwater,I also trust Shearwater with my life when I wear two Shearwater computers.
Huawei has been caught in the crosshairs of global "geopolitics". That reputation suits the various players (dogs) in that fight and the big-tech companies who're all fighting over a multitude of issues. This is a lot to do with their reputation undercutting other competitors in certain markets to buy market share.

My issues are privacy -- which is why I don't do facebook, google, et al -- and diving reliability. I am bought into the Apple ecosystem, but haven't an Apple watch. The tracking possibilities of a watch device -- with microphone, biometrics, wireless, bluetooth, cellular data, etc. -- is extraordinary. None of those devices would be allowed into sensitive areas. The code needs to be trusted to have not been doctored for nefarious acts.

For diving it's Shearwater as it is top quality reliable kit with a proven track record. My life depends upon it. No new entrant would be trusted by me for technical diving.

I was invited to the Beta test club, that's why.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like interesting hardware with some intriguing features. Unfortunately, global politics do inevitably pose a challenge.

Is that fully configurable or with with presets?
Does it display SurfGF?
In Tec diving mode, the GF Low/High is fully configurable.
Yes, it does display SurfGF.

Good to see diving mode becoming a trend!

Would love to see a dive oriented review, 100m rating makes this watch much more dive worthy than apple one.

Is anyone aware of the warranty in case of flooding? I understood that apple is advertising 40m rating, but do not put water damage under warranty (which makes the rating pointless)

For those who complain about data privacy... Doesn't it goes both ways? Apple takes as much data ...

People are considering trusting their lives to some Chinese watch made by the lowest bidder overseen by the CCP? What could go wrong?

If you rec dive within a gulp of air from the surface and want a shiny trinket on your writst, then fill your boots. For everyone else, these's a reason Shearwater is the industry standard.

Apple is bad enough, but Huawei? Seriously?

Wouldn't mind really....
The good old OSTC, the consumer ready shearwater, the latest apple gadget or huawei trinket is all the same to me I have no preconception...

But I would be quite interested to know how good it actually performs as a dive watch

I recommended the Garmin MK2 to a friend as he likes to run, cycle, kayak etc and likes to post his life to the interweb. We rec dive together and regularly go murdering lionfish, so for his lifestyle, the Garmin made sense and he loves it. Its does it all, and tracks everything by GPS.

I can't think of a single reason to recommend Apple, and even less Huawei.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Back
Top Bottom