Dive with isolator mostly closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any reason not to dive with it open but close to closed for faster shutdown? I'm not worried about it being closed unintentionally since I check my SPG frequently and would notice if it wasn't dropping.
Depends on how close to closed it might be.

There is some concern that by having it partly open / closed you might turn it the wrong way in an emergency because you are not up against a hard stop.

IMO, that likelihood is highly dependent on your familiarity with valves and/or threads.
Makes sense, I'll keep that in mind when practicing

There is some concern that by having it partly open / closed you might turn it the wrong way in an emergency because you are not up against a hard stop.

IMO, that likelihood is highly dependent on your familiarity with valves and/or threads.

It is not unusual for people to turn a thread (valve, tap, nut, bolt) the wrong way when trying to do it from an unfamiliar angle. Such as twisted your arm in a weird way to get to a hard-to-get-to nut, or reaching behind your head to open (err.. close.. err.. hang on..) your isolater.

FWIW I have mine fully open.

You do realize that's old school thinking for ancient valves, which is not a concern with any equipment from this century?
I was taught much the same; and my most recent tanks -- some Genesis 100s -- are celebrating thirty years, in 2023 . . .

If the loss of my back gas = death. I'd run no manifold and an extra spg. Or sling another tank.

My baby doubles rig is setup like that. But I'm just a rec diver.

If the loss of my back gas = death. I'd run no manifold and an extra spg. Or sling another tank.

My baby doubles rig is setup like that. But I'm just a rec diver.
People have also managed to die with a full tank that they apparently forgot they had. Massive stress from a dive going totally pear shaped plus being ooa isn’t conducive to clear thinking and competent decision making. Not saying it isn’t a viable choice but it has potential issues too that you have to train to deal with.

I can rec dive my baby rig, hopefully it can help me with further training.

But a valve drill is a major pita. Need to loosen my belt a bit, to do it without pain. Doesn't seem like a good game plan in an actual emergency. If I can just leave my isolator on a shelf at home, and never do that drill again, I'm all for it.

Out of curiosity, if you want to do this, wouldn’t it be actually safer to fully close it and open it to equalise every X bars before to close it again, and breathe from the SPG post?

I can rec dive my baby rig, hopefully it can help me with further training.

But a valve drill is a major pita. Need to loosen my belt a bit, to do it without pain. Doesn't seem like a good game plan in an actual emergency. If I can just leave my isolator on a shelf at home, and never do that drill again, I'm all for it.
I dive sidemount, so maybe it is or is not a fair comparison. However, if something is a pain, I consider that to be a sign that something needs to improve or change. If it's a pain to manipulate normally, it'll be worse in an emergency.

For example, if I go to practice regulator switching, and can't find my other regulator "instantly" I'll consider moving where my regulator is clipped (or more practice). Or, if I'm having difficulty a clip on a piece of gear, I might swap out that clip for another one. If I don't have enough mobility on a reg, I might need a slightly longer hose.

Like I said, I don't dive manifolded doubles, but perhaps the fact that it's a PITA means there's something which can be done to make it less annoying like repositioning the tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom