DiveAssure Depth Limit for Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadivr

New
Reaction score
DiveAssure has this wording on their website:
DiveAssure has no depth limits (as long as standards and protocols are followed and the diver is certified accordingly). Diving to a depth past your certification level will not be covered.

I have an SSI Open Water certification. Does this mean that if I log any dives at 61+ feet, they will deny any claims? I don't plan to go much deeper than that, but it would stink to find out that I'm not covered because I ventured to 70'.

Max depth during class is 60 ft. Max depth after certification *should be* the recreational limit of 130 ft. However, DiveAssure's interpretation is the ONLY one that matters -- call them to clarify.

Max depth during class is 60 ft. Max depth after certification *should be* the recreational limit of 130 ft. However, DiveAssure's interpretation is the ONLY one that matters -- call them to clarify.
Because the wording you quoted is so unclear, I would not just call them, I would ask for an explanation in writing. You can't use your memory of a phone call to contradict a later ruling.

I emailed them and this was their response:
Thank you for contacting DiveAssure.

SSI Open water depth limit is 60 feet, so in this case that we will be the depth limit.

They really shouldn't be advertising no depth limits if there's a hard cap at 60 feet for open water divers.

They really shouldn't be advertising no depth limits if there's a hard cap at 60 feet for open water divers.
That wording is deceptive.

If I were an OW-certified diver, I would not buy such a policy.

I emailed them and this was their response:

Maybe it's not all open water divers but hinges on the way SSI words their materials? Check out this thread, and specifically this post: Worsening insurance crisis. There is some ensuing discussion in that thread about how SDI words things versus how PADI words things (or rather, omits wording on the subject). It would be interesting to see if DiveAssure's response would be the same if you had advised them you had a PADI OW cert. One would think DiveAssure's answer would be the same, but after that discussion in that thread, I just don't know.

If I were diving on an OW cert, I wouldn't buy insurance from DiveAssure.

edit: Oops, I'm mixing up SSI and SDI (mentioned in that other thread). But the question remains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom