divelight as improvised lighting source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi Hyaku,

The pictures look really good :)

I have had some luck using an HID light for closeup shots and a backup light for macro.
OW1_041.jpg

MaxBottomTime,

Nice pictures! I want to add that small focus lights are usually good for macro shots because most of the video lights are too bright. Unless the video lights are not so bright and it's VERY WELL DIFFUSED, it's not going to be good for closeup shots. We are going to release a new LED focus light this month and I'll try to keep everyone posted here on Scubaboard.

Spoon:
i know that the best would be an external strobe but how would a dive light fare as an external source of light? im not talking about hids but your regular ordinary 2aa flashlights spot lighting my macro subjects?

Hopeless to use it for most situations.

But I do use one as a focus aid on night dives, and very rarely as the sole light on night dives. Much prefer my HID Light Cannon even for that. Attached is an example of using the Light Cannon at night, for illumination. The first photo is cropped from the original, also shown. The Light Cannon has the reach for this, my on-camera strobe would not have worked. Note that the eel was out of his crevice feeding, and moving rapidly, so no chance to focus, just fire and hope.

Nice Picures slowhands,

The pictures are really nice and depending on how far you are from the picture you will need different types of lighting . Constant lights like HIDs and high-powered halogens are good as a focus light if you're not shooting macro pictures. I'm not sure if you're using a diffuser or not, it doesn't look it it in the pictures. If you want to continue suing that light as a focus light I would recommend that you get a diffuser.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom