DiveMaster in Malaysia-Sipadan or Perhentians?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craley

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone

I am planning on doing my DiveMaster and am looking into doing it in Malaysia. I been looking into both the Perhentian islands and the area around Sipadan. Any advice on which I should go to and what DiveShop I should do my DiveMaster at?
Would really appreciate comments from either people working there at the moment or who have done DiveMaster/Instructors courses in either of the two areas.
I have been looking at a DiveShop called Scuba Junkie in Sipadan. Anyone know anything about it?
Really excited about doing my DiveMaster and just want to make the right choice so please, any help or friendly advice on any related topic would be appreciated.

Cheers

I dove with Borneo Divers in the Sipadan area and really liked them. Their training institute may be in the Kota Kinabalu, but that's not a reason to exclude them. Check them out here.

Craley
Don't ignore Tioman and Redang as possible destinations.
Please fill out your profile, it all helps to get a better response.

I agree with torqd..... Borneo Divers runs a diving institute in Kota Kinabalu and they do hold certifications in Sipadan as well. I would go with Borneo Divers for their more professional set-up and their track record of excellence. Besides, their instructors and staff are very friendly and patient.

As an experienced diver, I would have to say that Scuba Junkies in Sempoerna is the absolute worst dive shop that I have ever been diving with. From the state of the kit to the poorly-trained, unprofessional staff, I was unimpressed with pretty much the entire operation.

In Sipadan area, try Borneo Divers Mabul. Perhentian, try Spice Divers. Best of luck!!!

Borneo Divers/Smart.....it will depend on your budget really. I dove with SWV....nice place but I'm not sure about a DM course. They seem to be more interested in the tourist divers and not education.

but you will find WORK IN Perhentian islands ....SEASON STARTS IN A MOUNTH AND RUNS TILL SEP OR OCT good luck

but you will find WORK IN Perhentian islands ....SEASON STARTS IN A MOUNTH AND RUNS TILL SEP OR OCT good luck

While this may be, but does that work come with a permit to work in Malaysia? I was looking in Malaysia (though not in the Perenthians) and wasn't able to find any because the companies either couldn't or wouldn't obtain work permits for me and my other half.

Trust me, I'd love to work in some areas in that part of the world!

Water Colours Resort in Perhentians, or Borneo Divers in Sabah are the best out of the two locations you mentioned.
Go to Borneo Divers in KK if you plan to become an instructor and want proper training.

If you intend to one day do diving full-time avoid resort islands for your dm training as in general they train you very poorly in terms of operations, servicing, filling tanks and education. You just become free labour to take paying tourists on leisure dives. However this is a stereotype, and my humble opinion based on past experience, much of it will also come down to your personal attitude to the course and training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom