Divemaster in Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent write up CODMAN! Wow, I really created a monster with you! That is awesome! As for the sex industry stuff.....look, the reality is that it is everywhere in the world. Stop worrying about it.....if you want it then go for it otherwise leave it alone. Again, great write up CODMAN (use spell check next time ....LOLOLOL....darn Canucks can't spell!)

Nah... I can spell... I just have stubby fingers that's all! :rofl3::rofl3:

Well babyD, you did give me lots of pointers about preparing my DM course!:coffee: So it would be pretty selfish of me not to share!!:cool2:

You are right about the sex industry. It's everywhere in the world... Just some places they don't hide it! It's the way the world works and who am I to judge...:coffee:

Sonar, even though Sabang have quite a bit of it, as said above I avoided it easily enough while there!

Excellent write up CODMAN! Wow, I really created a monster with you! That is awesome! As for the sex industry stuff.....look, the reality is that it is everywhere in the world. Stop worrying about it.....if you want it then go for it otherwise leave it alone. Again, great write up CODMAN (use spell check next time ....LOLOLOL....darn Canucks can't spell!)

yeah, It's not something I need to avoid perse but I just hate to see old losers from Europe with young Asian Boys and stuff like that. Basically I just dont want to be in a place where people strictly come for the sex industry like Pattaya and such

About the preparation; I can simply order the books somewhere and start studying I suppose?

I started saving like crazy; I broke one ATM card and transfer every month a (too) big part of my salary to that card. All my extra income goed there as well such as my tax refund, electricity refund, my small coins I ve put in a jar for years and so on

Check your PM.

About the preparation; I can simply order the books somewhere and start studying I suppose?

Yes you probably can. In my case, I had discussed this with my instructor before starting. He agreed it would be wise to do as much as possible beforehand. SO I went ahead with it. But each instructor is different and who knows how they would want you to proceed with the schoolwork...

Then again, if you walk up to a dive shop asking about a DM course and you have all of your academics done already, I seriously doubt anyone will turn you away!!!!:coffee: So basically, yeah you could buy the books and start right now...

PADI has special "packs" with all the books needed for each course they give. Just buy the ones you need: rescue and DM I believe? And get to work!

I just wanted to say that even though Sabang has a fairly health sex industry :)rofl3:), it's not really that bad... Like I said, easily avoidable...

Cheers!:coffee:

IMO, there are many people who are testing the ground here in the PI's right now who have made a living and a good life in other places for a party lifestyle. Now that lifestyle is ending - and they know this, they are now looking to people here for a way to continue this lifestyle. I think that this is such a post.

Positions here for pro-divers should firstly be available for local divers with many years experience/local knowledge - period. Overseas foreign divers - unless tourism priorities take precedence - must compete with dive pros in the PI's.

I know that many would like to help foreign divers, but there are many hundreds Filipino pro divers with vastly superior dive experiences in SE Asia/local sites looking for work to feed their families/compared to foreigners with less than 2000 work dives; if people have cash to invest with a dive operator/resort here for training and education, then he/she must be welcomed here. Otherwise, then we must take care of our own here.

Better IMO for SONAR to stick to a place like Thailand at the moment, as I think it will be hard for him in the PI's - especially when there is a glut of exellent DM's/Instructors returning from the PI's from Indonesia, Malaysia, Micronesia due to the recession.

I apologise if I have upset anyboby. Please PM me if I have.

WWD

That said, IF SONAR wants to spend time/money here to become a dive pro and learn an area, then he has a chance.; this is up to him or any other DM trainee from anywhere in the world.

In times of serious worldwide recession (depression), the PI's are positioned for better dive tourism in SE Asia than all other places.

Thailand has taken an incredible 40% to 50% drop in tourism in 4 months. The Philippines tourism has remained fairly stable.

Think that many are going to want to relocate from Thailand to the PI's in the very near future because of this.

I totally agree that locals should have the jobs. I dont want to take somebodies job (who takes care of like 5-15 people) because I wanna have fun. I am not looking to get paid or anything; i just hope to be able to help out in return for cheap dives.

WWW does an internship or a 3month DM course (for which I pay, just like for accomodation and food) hurt the PI divers? I assumed that they work as instructor? Or is there a job market to for english speaking PI DM's?

Back
Top Bottom