Divemaster in Roatan this summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UpcomDM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Guys..

I am currently af rescue diver and want to do my divemaster internship in around 5-6 weeks this summer in Roatan.. I have been looking the internet to find some good and nice places to do this, but might your help in making the right decision..

Roatan dive center has an Eco divemaster internship, that sounds pretty nice, including a lot of different stuff and a fair price..

Coconut tree divers has a very fair price and it sounds like a big shop, where you can enjoy a lot of social life as well.

West end divers has good reviews and fair prices as well

For me the price is important, the chance to do a lot of diving and leading some groups, quality of training, social life.

Hope someone will spend some time to tell be their knowledge about the shops above or maybe some other shops..

Thanks a lot

These are just my personal opinions...

Roatan Dive Center is on the grounds of Sueno Del Mar which is a smaller resort so may not get the traffic some of the others do - I think an important aspect of DM training is learning to interface/watch/support divers in your care.I know nothing else about SDM except location.

I can speak to Coconut Tree Divers since we dove with them for a week. And I know Will, their CD from several conversations we had. Once on their deck he taught an advanced lesson at the table behind mine so I heard a lot of it - seemed to go over things in a very detailed manner. CTD also has an upstairs training room in their main building and they're just really nice people

Also to my other point - during the week just about all their current DM trainees led our dives in the afternoons - seemed to be standard practice. Usually the morning boat was full and afternoon boat was my group of 7-8 plus 4.

You will be hauling a lot of tanks from the shop to the boat also - they wouldn't let us touch them all week. Fortunately for you it's just across the street. And cleaning/storing gear - couldn't do much to help with that either. On Friday late afternoon they stripped the boat and were going fishing until we showed up (unexpectedly) to dive. They offered to put it all back but we said no not wanting to ruin their plans. Almost went with them...

CJ and Gay (owners) are fun and casual and that pervades thru the rest of the staff but serious when needed. Which brings up another point - if you need it the chamber is about a 5min. drive away at Anthony's Key. The dr. also provides a medical clinic during the day for locals apparently.

We participated in the DM graduation that Friday and that was a pretty liquid night. Good thing we had a noon flight. Are you living on Roatan now? You must know the West End bars better than I do.

I know nothing about West End Divers but what you read here.

Another recent thread discussing some other options: Roatan Dive Academy Internship

Last edited:
Hello Diversteve..

Thank you very much for an excellent reply.

It was very helpfull.

I still like the program that Roatan Dive Center provides, but it sounds like coconut tree divers might be a little bigger, maybe with some more other young people and still a good divemaster internship. Have you heard anybody telling about their time as a divemaster the two different places??

Thanks again

Dove with West End Divers 3 years ago and certainly would recommend them. If you go with them or Coconut Tree, you'll be in West End which is a fun little town with a variety of options for accommodation, food and entertainment. I'd contact both and see what they can offer.

Hello! Subway Watersports & Roatan Dive Academy here. We're located on the north east end of the island and offer a really unique Divemaster internship program at one of the busiest dive shops on the island. If you'd like some information, feel free to e-mail us at internship@roatandiveacademy.com. We've got some really neat projects going on at our shop that all of our interns are fully participating in, including starting and maintaining Roatan and Central America's first coral nurseries! We also offer all inclusive packages with no hidden fees, group discounts and a price match guarantee. We hope to hear from you soon!

Reactions: Doc
As someone who has looked into doing the same thing and I have visited Roatan about 10 weeks in the past 2 years. Here is my 2 cents.

I LOVE diving with West End Divers. Its very chill/laid back. Small groups so more personalized attention. They usually have 1-2 DMT's at a time and from what I have seen they are always treated as another member of the group by the customers and the staff equally. I'm pretty sure if you DM with them you also get to dive free for life as long as there is room and if you are willing to help out while you are there. The downside DMT-wise is because it is smaller you will have less variety of experiences and probably less overall dives, also no housing, though I'm sure they would be happy to help you find something. The big one for me is once you are done for the day that is it. No real social experience outside of the work day. And segwaying into the other shop, all West End divers divemasters/instructors did their DMT at Coconut Tree.

Coconut Tree is the place everyone goes for DMT. Will runs the program and has connections all over the place to get jobs, which may or may not be helpful to you. But the option is always appreciated. They also have a divemaster house that is very reasonably priced and (this is a "verified rumor") they have a large discount at the best place to eat in Roatan the Oasis Restaurant. I have also seen that as a hang out spot from the DMT's studying at night. So much more social life. Downsides is that because this is such a training center I did not really enjoy diving with them. Less personalized attention as there is often 5+ DMT's at the same time. The boats were very crowded and I felt like, as a normal customer, that I wasn't really appreciated as much at the DMT's were. But they are always very busy so you would get a ton of dives with them.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. Fact check everything but this was the info I got when I was looking a few months ago. My advice, dive with West End divers for fun. Do your DMT with Coconut Tree, stay at their DMT house and enjoy the social aspect more.

Reactions: Doc
Thanks megan for an awesome answer.. I am gonna do the DM at Coconut tree divers..

Thanks megan for an awesome answer.. I am gonna do the DM at Coconut tree divers..
Yay! I'm glad I was helpful to you :) I'll probably be doing it as well sometime in the next 6 months! Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom