Divemaster with extra gear a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come to think of it, yea you guys are right all the way... As a professional, I should clearly state my priorities and keep my personal interest in photography on my off days.

I am feeling a bit nervous by the fact that people will be looking to me for help if anything happens. I know that DM is the professional level, but I am a bit hesitant if I should be taking the course.

Provided you take the course with a professional attitude, and getas much as you can out of it, having divers look up to you as a professional won't be a problem. Of course the first time somebody asks you a question, you may hesitate a moment, but then realize "hey, I know that!", and give the answer.

Most of the info you end up providing is from experience not the "book learning". All I can say is get the experience, and NEVER hesitate to say "I don't know, but I will find out." if posed a question you honestly can't answer.

FWIW...

Definitely no camera - especially when you start looking at the liability side of it. If you are taking the PADI course, most of the bookwork is all learning "the PADI way" and learning how to minimize liability/risk. If something were to happen on a dive you were DM'ing on, and you had a camera, that would be a huge flag for a liability case as you weren't providing a standard level of care.

Everyone else has offered some very good advice as well!

diver371:
Hey all,

I'm planning to do my divemaster course in August and since I'll be diving for free(internship) after that, I was wondering if carrying a camera and being a divemaster at the same time is a good idea. I have a Nikonos V and an SB105 strobe so it gets bulky sometimes. Would it be smart to be a DM and carry a camera at the same time? Would I be able to carry out my "job" and take pictures without problems?

Thanks
Jalal

I took a client's camera in the pool once on an intro dive. It was a family outing (some people have interesting outings) and the owner of the camera really wanted a picture of herself diving so I agreed.

On the whole, however, I'd say it's a bad idea.

R..

Set aside the whole safety and liability issues, and think about the image and perception aspect. The divers that you are divemastering for might feel ignored or short-changed if you spend some of the dive taking pictures. This might lead to a loss of business for the dive shop and possibly bad word of mouth marketing.

I second what everyone else wrote. And add...
Don't hesitate to take the class and get the experience as a DM. It's very worthwhile and rewarding.

i hope they give out free lollipops!

i just read the thread about the underwater scuba without tanks.. lol what a question

Thanks a lot everyone.. i'll keep the camera for later

Jalal

Maybe I’m not understanding some part of this correctly. I seem to be ‘solo’ on this one
06.gif

I’ve been out boat diving with DM’s that had big cameras, strobes and took really great photos. The first time was my first dive after BOW, it didn’t bother me. If they were working, I didn’t feel at all neglected. If I felt I needed to have a DM focused solely on me the entire dive, I’d quit diving, get more instruction or something. Am I misinterpreting the difference between DiveMaster and Instructor?
I’ve been out with divers known to me to be DM but not working the dive, I don’t expect them to be paying much attention to me period. I’m happy if they are doing what I’m wanting to do and don’t swat me away for tagging along.
This may be an entirely different situation in a different environment or something, but I’m surprised to be the only one that doesn’t see the big deal.
What am I missing, don’t understand here?

RedRover,

that's what i was thinking of when i first wrote this thread.. but after reading some posts i was told that it can pose a risk for other divers.

I don't want to be taking pictures while DMing, i was thinking that i would be takin pictures of the ppl i would be guiding and the surroundings around them, yknow so they can remember the dive. Then after the dive i would give the film to my "guidees".
I wasn't thinking of diving away from the group, but more of getting the group more involved in the dive. I don't really know how to explain it in such a short time.. but maybe my initial question was unclear or i am just trying to find approval on the subject...

Jalal

diver371:
that's what i was thinking of when i first wrote this thread.. but after reading some posts i was told that it can pose a risk for other divers.

I don't want to be taking pictures while DMing, i was thinking that i would be takin pictures of the ppl i would be guiding and the surroundings around them, yknow so they can remember the dive. Then after the dive i would give the film to my "guidees".
I wasn't thinking of diving away from the group, but more of getting the group more involved in the dive. I don't really know how to explain it in such a short time.. but maybe my initial question was unclear or i am just trying to find approval on the subject...

Jalal
Jalal,

Many divers like to have their pictures taken or to be able to take home a video of their dives. But it is not a good idea to have the same person responsible for their safety and for taking pictures. In my experience, the photographer or videographer has never been the person leading the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom