Diver ability rankings beyond C-cards..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pt40fathoms once bubbled...

We can do a few dives in water that is 68f for the first 30 feet, then drops to a cool 38f the rest of the way down. Max depth will be 120 feet, but if you are trimix rated we can plan a dive to the bottom of the crater in the middle of the lake to 365 feet. Oh by the way, vis is usually 20 to 40 feet at the best of times, reaching 80 feet vis below the 80 foot mark due to less student traffic. The water is a dark tea colour, so you will need a light below 60 feet regardless of the conditions top side. Interested?

That's EXTREME diving in my book! Dam that's cold. Can you say shrinkage?

It sounds good on paper, but you're never too experienced to have a brain fart or an equip malfunction. In the end, a diver is resonsable for making their own determination about the dive and their ability.

Straggler Dave once bubbled...
Does PADI (or whatever other agency) has a policy on this behaviour? I recall they have a minimum depth/time for a dive to be considered a dive, but I have no idea how deep/long that is and whether it's enforced... :huh:

Not knowing the answer myself, I would think that whatever standard there is/was would have to cover the typical instructor dive...which presumably would be shallow and short.

I believe that PADI's requirement for a "dive" is 20 feet for 20 minutes.

RICHinNC I imagine that if you had the correlating number of dives logged and at least some of your diving experience had taken place in a temperate/cold water environment they would have no problem letting you dive after giving you a brief on the local conditions.

As for fudging dive logs I imagine the best way to get around that is to have them all signed off by a buddy divemaster, or even better get the dive operator to stamp the log with their seal. I personally am a bit slack with my log-book, all it has is a list of the dives, who my buddy was, and a couple of other details like max. depth. on an excel spreadsheet. If I really needed too I could get the buddies listed to verify that I had done the listed dive/dives with them but there's no reason to go that far right now.

As for pt40fathoms - it's all relative mate.

If you train in 80f.+ degrees in board shorts with 100+ feet viz. and limited currents and then drop into 46f. degrees which is apparently what the ocean dropped down to this week, moderate currents and low viz. (which in Melbourne means 5-15 feet, the best viz. I've ever got here is 50 feet) ...80 feet at the bottom.. "you call that extreme, or even challenging".. :rolleyes:

Welll, I never mentioned the word 'exteme', but for someone to have to deal with a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit for the first time, as well as the cold itself, along with everything else, I'm sure the change over would be considered a challenge.

I can see where your coming from though, we had a recent trip north of Sydney 2 weeks ago, and at the local dive store he said the water temp. was a chilly 66f. and that when we got to the dive site most people would be wearing dry-suits at this time of year :eek:ut: I should pass on your Canadian dive holiday to them :wink:

Levels 1 and 2 seem to be reasonable, but with level 3 + too much weight is given to some C-card and too little to experience.
I might get AOW card and have only 20 dives, none deeper than 20m (IIRC according to PADI everything over 18m is deep).
I might not have deep diver C card, but I might have done a lot of dives over 30m..

Also, it's hard to judge experience from a logboog. For example I don't have a logbook, all's logged on my computer - and how would you know I never lent it to someone or just plan dropped of the boat for a bit of "computer diving"? :wink:

I'd say if anyone comes and wants to do "extreme" (whatever your definition is) dive, and you don't know them, tell them "After a checkout dive". Or you can be more subtle :D

So, I might be in Melbourne in two weeks time, any good diving around? :wink:

Regards,
Vlad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom