Diver attacks great white.....YIKES!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you believe that Lal, he said he hit him with a 12ga powerhead, in the head, and it only stunned him, oh wow, that's not good! zeN

zeN|| once bubbled...
Can you believe that Lal, he said he hit him with a 12ga powerhead, in the head, and it only stunned him, oh wow, that's not good! zeN
Did you get a look at the size of that sucker, its friggin huge!! Here i was thinking of getting a 12 gauge bangstick to keep with me while spearfishing around morro bay, cambria, and spooners cove due to all the great white sightings. Maybe its time to take up golf :D

Have you been diving lately? Its been slim for me this last month as we just bought a house and have been moving for the last two days. I did manage to get a decent lingcod from morro bay a few weeks ago.

NatureDiver once bubbled...
Shark-fishing is one thing, if you plan on using the whole thing, shark-finning on the other hand is a complete waste and lack of respect for the natural world.

I agree with you on the shark finning. Kinda makes me want to "fin" a few fisherman and throw them over the side. But I also do not feel shark fishing of any type is appropriate.

Sharks are apex predators with low reproductive rates that take a relatively long time to reach maturity. You cannot harvest a fish like that and expect to maintain the population. There are already way too many killed as by catch when pursuing other species even without intending to fish them.

It's not always just sharks either. Orange roughy have a similar very low reprodctive potential and a relatively short lived commerial fishing industry devastated their populations.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Took a few days, but just 5 months ago they managed to release a 4.5m-5m great white from a tuna farm in Tasmania. No shooting required.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,6649866^2702,00.html

And they talked about this being a great NEW method for releasing sharks. So maybe in the future this method can be used to humanely release sharks. You can't assume that as soon as a method is tried, the entire world is instantly privy to the success and exactly how to implement it for their own use.

Also, 4.5 to 5m is not the same as 6m. The smaller end of that range means the shark released was possibly an entire short person longer than the destroyed shark in Mexico. That would correspond to a far heavier shark, and the people specifically mentioned that the released shark was surprisingly docile. You can't assume these situaions are identical because they have strong similarities. Just because you can dive 24m of water in clear, calm, warm water doesnt' mean with a certain level of equipment and expertise doesn't mean you can dive 30m under conditions that could be far from clear, calm and warm.

adder70 once bubbled...
And they talked about this being a great NEW method for releasing sharks. So maybe in the future this method can be used to humanely release sharks. You can't assume that as soon as a method is tried, the entire world is instantly privy to the success and exactly how to implement it for their own use.

Also, 4.5 to 5m is not the same as 6m.
Come on, they cut a frikkin hole in the netting and let it out. They called it a gate because they're going to incorporate a gated pre-cut hole in future pens.

No, I absolutely agree - a 15-16 foot great white is not the same as a 19 foot great white. But hey, the released shark was still at least FIFTEEN FEET - that's a big white shark.

It just sickens me that the shark is being proudly displayed like a trophy - I'm betting that if it had been an orca there wouldn't be photos of a smiling diver standing next to it's carcass.

Last time I looked the Amish were the only European descended group to have any claims towards being evironmentally sound in their everyday living.I love "mentals" like Arianna Huffinton and Robert Redford lambaste others for thier particular environmental idiosyncrasy and then hop on a private plane to get home.The height of hypocrisy.I try as hard as I can to be as sensitive to the environment as possible but I must eat and prefer to harvest my own protien sources and am amazed at the grief that flies.I drive an SUV because it's required to accomplish my job.I use renewable resources wherever possible but it is sometimes less environmentally sound and economically unfeasible.I don't buy foreign goods much for several reasons,they must be shipped here burning fossil fuels and often the environmental regs overseas would cause me to inadvertantly pollute far more.There are just cases in which unless you are involved you have no right or ability to have an opinion.I spend 10s of thousands every year in taxes,fees ,excise taxes and liscenses to pursue my outdoor hobbies and countless hours doing coastal clean-ups,assisting in widlife studies and trying to be a good steward of the sacred covenant between my Creator and I concerning the environment.The last time I looked it was sportsmen and commercial fisheries who actually paid for fisheries management. It is up to each individual to decide.If the man was within the law,within company policy and can live with himself it is none of your buisness unless you were there and have proof he violated either.

100days a year, I don't think you could be more right. Had this conversation while taking a philosphy of the environment course, people preaching such destruction, and then going off and being material. Although I have immense respect for those who preach this, and live like it. A neat quote the prof posted in this course was that, it's not necessarily our job to succeed 100% right away, but if everyday we fail a little less than the day before, were on our way to creating a better earth. So, learn from our mistakes, but don't expect perfection right away, maybe thats asking for too much in reality.
Eric

ps. hopefully we can figure it out before we do destroy everything though:(

Lal7176,
Golf has its dangers too. Have you seen the "size" of some of the deer that hang out on central coast courses? You may want to bring a powerhead.
Were you hunting north or south of Morro Rock? Have there been more GW sightings recently? I was on the central coast a few weeks ago, but didn't hear of any reports.

JustAddWater once bubbled...
Lal7176,
Golf has its dangers too. Have you seen the "size" of some of the deer that hang out on central coast courses? You may want to bring a powerhead.
Were you hunting north or south of Morro Rock? Have there been more GW sightings recently? I was on the central coast a few weeks ago, but didn't hear of any reports.
I was in the bay south of the rock at a place called target rock. Its a really big rock that kinda sticks out over the bay slightly. I have never tried diving the actual ocean side north of the rock as it always looks pretty treacherous :D Spooners cove in montana de oro can be hit and miss. Leffingwell landing in cambria is a great place to kayak dive as there is a little cement ramp leading to the beach. I have dove there a few times just north of the wash rock if you look straight out from the cove and to your right. Both times vis was great with good spearfishing.

The last great white sighting i heard of was about a month or more ago just south of spooners cove around the point.

Speaking of golfing as a dangerous sport my buddy tried golfing on saturday. As luck would have it he got nailed straight in the forehead by an errant ball. It hit him so hard it actually split his forehead and left the marking from the golfball imprinted in his forehead for a few minutes. So between the deer and getting hit by flying golfballs ill take my chance with sharks :D

NatureDiver once bubbled...
I definitely plan on focusing my energies on the mass slaughter of these and other animals one day..when I have the education and means to get people's attention. I plan on devoting my life to the conservation of animals and more specifically, marine life. I am working towards my first degree so that I can have an impact on these things I feel strongly about.

Why are you waiting for the degree? Jen and I spent years volunteering for local marine conservation groups. We helped rescue marine mammals and went around with touch exhibits to educate elementary age kids about the environment.

It was great fun, and we learned a lot about the local marine environment. They actually run classes for the volunteer educators.

Don't tell me that school keeps you too busy either :wink: We were both working 50 + hours and going to school full time at night while we were volunteering.

Anyway, look around at what's available in your area, and have fun with it.......

Scott

Back
Top Bottom